1938 Lagonda LG6 (4½ litre)
|Odometer reading||77,132 miles|
- 1 of 18 produced
- Recent substantial expenditure with marque specialists,
The Lagonda LG6 was produced from 1937 to 1940 and was announced at the 1937 London Motor Show. The LG6 chassis was based on the V12 model, lengthened by 3.5" to cater for the longer engine fitted. The Meadows engined M45 introduced in 1934 with the technical expertise of W.O Bentley, became progressively more refined with the introduction of synchromesh gears, central chassis lubrication and flexible engine mounts. The LG6 of 1937, produced alongside the sensational V12 cars, featured a cross-braced chassis with independent front suspension, hydraulic shock absorbers and Lockheed hydraulic front wheel brakes.
Standard coachwork included saloon, tourer, coupé and sedanca styles. The Tourer was also available in Rapide version and had a higher compression ratio engine but only two were sold. The car can be distinguished from the V12 by the twin long trumpet horns on either side of the radiator grille. The Frank Feeley designed factory coachwork was a match for the finest European design houses and, even in saloon form, the stylish LG6 claimed a top speed of 98mph. Just 67 of the short chassis and 18 long chassis were made.
The Autocar magazine said of Lagonda's LG6 in June 1938, "The much improved 4½... comes up to expectations... It is doubtful whether a fast car has ever been made so steady and yet so comfortable. It is almost uncannily easy to take this car round bends at high speeds and at the same time the insulation offered to passengers is of the highest order."
First registered in October 1938 as FMA 52, chassis number 12345 (!) and supplied by University Motors, this fabulous example is presented in grey with original trim. Little is known of the history of the car from 1938 to 1962 when it was purchased by a long standing Lagonda Club member. It is known that The Autocar magazine tested it in their Used Car Test Report dated 5th December 1952, with a photograph of the car found in that edition and a copy supplied in the history file. In 1966 it was exported to a new owner in the USA who kept it for 11 years before selling it to a lady in Florida who remained the owner until 1996 when it was purchased by a Lagonda Club member and brought back to the UK.
Since repatriation, the car has had a raft of work undertaken, including a full repaint in 2006 and, importantly, all necessary wood in the frame was replaced with New Zealand Southland Beach, a knotless wood. In 2014, the interior was refurbished with new headlining, carpets and rubber seals. The leather, however, was treated rather than being replaced and our vendor has had bespoke covers made so that the originality can be retained but uncovered at a later date should a new owner wish. The car has also been shod with four new tyres. This example is accompanied by receipts from pre-war Lagonda specialists, Bishopgrey, with whom our vendor has spent a considerable sum ensuring the LG6 is fit for purpose and ready for presenting at Lagonda Club meets.
This true and elegant thoroughbred - which would have been state of the art in 1938 - has seen little use in the last few years but has been regularly started, cherished and housed in an excellent collection with other specific classic examples. Offered with a V5C document and old Certificate of Title from its time in the US together with many restoration invoices, restoration photographs and plenty of useful technical information, it is a very rare and exceptionally beautiful car.
Previous lot2006 Aston Martin Vanquish S
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.