Lot 195 - 1936 Mercedes-Benz 170V Roadster
|Result||Sold - £50,000|
- In current ownership since 1974
- Extensive mechanical restoration
- Very rare example
The Mercedes-Benz 170V (W136) was the company’s chief four-cylinder offering from 1935 through to 1955. It was available in saloon, cabriolet, roadster, cabrio-limousine and even pickup and van guises. Pre-1950 the range was powered by an engine of 1697cc capacity. Total production of the W136 line numbered some 158,196 units.
This wonderful left hand drive 170V two-seater is believed to be one of only 13 dickie-seat versions remaining of circa 250 produced. It is thought to have come off the production line in 1936 and subsequently brought to the UK by its first keeper, a Baron Von Rautenburg, the then consul of the German embassy in London. First UK registered just nine days before the outbreak of WWII. While much of the history has sadly been lost, there are some early images of the car whilst owned by its second keeper an A J Ray Whiteway, who was Chairman of the Mercedes-Benz Club from 1963 to 1970. They even include shots of the car competing in the club’s first ever concours d’elegance, which was held at Gerrards Cross in 1953. Club records suggest it was then owned by a D S D Lenoir before being acquired by the vendor in 1974. He apparently purchased it as a non-runner for £1,000 and had it restored in Oxfordshire, during which the colour was changed from white to its current livery of brown over yellow. The black vinyl interior trim is believed to be original and we understand the existing engine is, however, a 44bhp post-war unit of 1701cc, that appears to have been installed in the late 1960’s / early 1970’s. Evidently it has only done 200 miles since being thoroughly rebuilt some five years ago, at which time the brake system was overhauled and the clutch was inspected but deemed to be in good order. Recent maintenance has included the replacement of the water pump, front wheel bearings and tyres, while within the last 200 miles a reconditioned differential has been purchased from Germany and installed. The vendor now considers the powerplant and manual transmission to be in very good order.
Black and white images by kind permission of the Mercedes-Benz Club Archives.
Interested parties should note that contrary to the catalogue description, this example has not run in circa five years and as such general recommissioning will be required. However, prior to this five-year period the Mercedes was treated to a mechanical restoration, and we believe only light recommissioning will be required.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each Lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. All registration numbers, engine and chassis details are sourced from registration documents provided to Historics by the client or representative or HPI checks and buyers are to satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of these details. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.