Lot 171 - 1961 Daimler SP250 Dart ‘B’ Specification
|Odometer reading||64,489 miles|
|Result||Sold - £29,680|
- Fully restored
- Photographic restoration book
- Rare automatic car
The controversially styled Daimler Dart was introduced at the New York Motor Show in 1959 and had its European debut at the 1959 Earls Court Motor Show; the Dart name was soon dropped after the threat of legal action from Chrysler who had a car of that name within their Dodge division. Thereafter this new sports car was known as the Daimler SP250. Power was provided by the 2.5 litre, Edward Turner designed, V8 that soon became revered for the smoothness in its power delivery with 140bhp on tap. Independent double wishbone front suspension at the front and half elliptical springs at the rear with a live rear axle kept the car on the road with stopping power supplied by hydraulic disc brakes on all four corners. The coachwork was constructed with glass reinforced plastic providing a tough, strong and lightweight shape that enhanced performance with exciting and non-traditional looks. The 120mph plus capability was recognised by the police and they were soon being used as high-speed chase cars.
DMY 160A underwent a full nut and bolt restoration which included a complete engine rebuild including pistons, bearings and all new valves and guides to the cylinder heads. During the restoration the car benefitted from marque specialist, Robert Grinter’s rear gas telescopic suspension upgrade and the essential rack and pinion steering conversion. There are two 7” electric fans fitted on a thermostat which, coupled with the automatic transmission, means that the car is just as comfortable in the city as it is on long cruises. The body was stripped to the gel coat and repainted in Jaguar Opalescent Grey, it has a new hood and has been completely retrimmed in Oxblood leather. The car was purchased new in June 1961 from Stratstone, London, by Dr. Derek Ivor Segall, a Harley Street doctor who lived in the fabulously named house ‘By the Way’, London Road, Stanmore, who ordered the car with a very rare automatic transmission. Dr. Segall kept the car for four years, before selling it on to an Anthony Mitchell who lived in Kensington High Street, London, who then went to live in Northern Ireland, taking the car with him. The car remained there until it was bought and restored in 2016 and finally returned to its former glory.
Supplied with the UK V5C registration document, original buff log book, Heritage Certificate, history file and photographic record of its restoration along with an editorial piece in ‘Royal North of Ireland Yacht Club’ magazine which covers the cars restoration. This rare automatic SP250 offers great usability along with a desirable history and presented in nicely restored condition.
Previous lotLot 170 - 1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk. Ia - Road/Race car
Next lotLot 172 - 2013 Ferrari 458 Italia
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each Lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. All registration numbers, engine and chassis details are sourced from registration documents provided to Historics by the client or representative or HPI checks and buyers are to satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of these details. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.