Lot 174 - 1956 Austin Healey 100/4 BN2
|Odometer reading||42,110 miles|
|Estimate||£60,000 - £68,000|
- Desirable BN2 model
- Restored and prepared to high standard
- Engine balanced and to M spec.
The Austin Healey 100 was built between 1953 and 1956, it was developed by Donald Healey to be produced in-house by Healey's small car company. Healey built a single 'Healey Hundred' for the 1952 London Motor Show and the design impressed Leonard Lord, Managing Director of Austin, so much that a deal was struck with Healey to build it in quantity at Austin's Longbridge factory. The car was re-named the Austin Healey 100. The first 100's (series 'BN1') were equipped with the same 90bhp engines and manual transmission as the Austin A90 but the gearbox was modified to be a three-speed unit with overdrive on second and top. The BN2 came with a real four speed manual transmission, still with overdrive on the top two gears. Features which distinguish the BN2 from the BN1 are the slightly larger front wheel arches, different rear axle and being the first 100 with optional two-tone paint. In 1955, a 100M model was developed as well, with larger carburettors, a cold air box to increase air flow to the carburettors, high-lift camshaft and 8.1:1 compression pistons. It produced 110bhp at 4500rpm
This very desirable, right hand drive, matching numbers, Austin Healey 100/4 BN2 with overdrive was completed in November 1955 and registered on the 10th January 1956 finished in Spruce Green. Sold as a restoration project in 2003 to Mr. Richard Summers by David Ward of Big Healey Ltd., who believed that the car had only covered 36,000 miles from new. After purchasing all the body panels, the car went to Ugly Duckling in Shropshire and over the next few months the car received a complete ground up restoration. The engine and other mechanics were sent to marque racing specialists Denis Welch Motorsports who completely rebuilt and balanced the engine fitting a ‘fast road’ aluminium cylinder head, an aluminium sump, 88mm pistons – dished M spec, lightened flywheel and a DWR1 camshaft. Please note the original cylinder head and sump are still with the car. To complete the engine Denis Welsh uprated the carburettors and inlet manifold to ‘M’ spec. He then turned his attention to the suspension and brakes, the shock absorbers were uprated and the front brakes with the BN2-BJ7 brake disc conversion. By September 2004 nearly £17,400 had been spent on it. Denis Welsh continued with work fitting a competition exhaust manifold and system. The car was completed in the first part of 2006. In 2008 a new alloy bonnet and boot lid were made, painted and fitted to the car. In 2009 the gearbox was overhauled with straight cut, close ratio gearing and overdrive unit was uprated and reconditioned. Also in 2009, what is believed to be, an original 1950’s Healey hardtop was acquired and painted to match the car. Since the restoration the car has been fully maintained regardless of cost, it has been used in hill climb competitions and has only covered 6,000 miles since the restoration. This fast road/semi competition Healey 100/4 BN2 fitted with a limited slip differential is finished in green over cream with black piped red seats and is supplied with a V5 registration document, a Heritage certificate, old MoT test certificates which confirm the mileage since the restoration and a file containing invoices for many thousands of pounds showing all the work that has been carried out on this fine example.
Previous lotLot 173 - 2002 Porsche 911 996 Carrera 2S
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.