1949 AC 2-Litre Saloon

 1949 AC 2-Litre Saloon

1949 AC 2-Litre Saloon

Registration JOM 446
Chassis Number EL1091
Engine Number UMB1091
Odometer reading 99,586 miles
Estimate No Reserve
  • Sale proceeds all donated to the Williams Gray Foundation
  • Recent service and brake overhaul

AC Cars originally incorporated as Auto Carriers Ltd, introduced its AC 2-Litre four door saloon car in 1947 with production continuing until 1956. In total 1,284 saloons were built at its Thames Ditton factory. The AC saloon was built as a spacious well-equipped touring car with respectable performance courtesy of its six-cylinder overhead camshaft 1991cc engine. Breathing through triple SU carburettors, the engine produced 76bhp which would propel the car to a top speed of 80mph. For the first time on an AC, hydraulic dampers were used and, until 1951, the car had a hybrid braking system; hydraulic at the front and cable at the rear.

All proceeds from the sale of this AC 2.0 litre have kindly been donated by the vendor to the Williams Grey Foundation, registered charity number 1178201. The funds raised are to be distributed in the form of charitable grants to national, local and overseas projects nominated by the Trustees and supporters, current supported charities include Riverside Counselling, Openwork's Cares 4 Kids and Cardiac Risk in the Young.

The AC 2-Litre Saloon offered here is finished in green with beige leather interior. This original UK righthand drive example was first registered via Hatton Motors of Birmingham on 22nd April 1949. Its first owner, Dr. David Humphrey of Edgbaston, took possession of the car on 28th April 1949, he kept the car for seven years. It then passed to its second owner, John Livesey, a Captain in the British Army, on 6th January 1956. The cars third owner, Alfred Kirk, bought the car in September 1956, it remained with him until 1966 when it was passed to George Lockie of Margate Kent, he then owned the car up until December 1987. During George’s ownership, the car was regularly maintained with a MoT test certificate recorded in Margate in March 1970 which indicated its mileage was 92,043 miles. The car then passed through several owners, notably Mr. Douglas, a member of the AC Owners Club in 1995. The current owner bought the car at 99,100 miles in September 2017, he has since used the car sparingly. Under his ownership, the car has benefitted from a recent service and additional works including; replacing rear shock absorbers, brake overhaul including front brake cylinders, cooling system works and replacement water pump, radiator and block flush. Attention then passed to the electrical system with a new coil, leads, points, capacitor and distributor cap. Offered for sale with a current V5 registration document, various MoT test certificates and other related invoices, this is a delightfully useable classic.

Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.

Web design & build by Edgebound