Lot 218 - 1968 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow Convertible by Mulliner Park Ward
|Odometer reading||59,286 miles|
|Estimate||£10,000 - £15,000|
|Result||Sold - £33,600|
Rolls-Royce Motors formed Mulliner Park Ward by the 1961 merger of two Rolls-Royce subsidiaries: Park Ward of Willesden, London, a Rolls-Royce subsidiary since 1939 and H. J. Mulliner & Co. of Chiswick, a Rolls-Royce subsidiary since 1959. Mulliner Park Ward continues to operate as the vehicle customisation division of Bentley Motors Limited, the successor of Rolls-Royce Motors. The Corniche was a development of the Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow with the two door variants of that model marketed as the ‘Silver Shadow Mulliner Park Ward’ two-door fixedhead coupé which was first seen in 1966 followed by the convertible version in 1967. The very handsome coachwork design was by John Polwhele Blatchley. The model was assembled and finished in London at Mulliner Park Ward as a continuation of the 1965 Silver Shadow Coupé, the Corniche name was applied from 1971 to all two-door coupés and convertibles.
This Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow Convertible was first ordered from H.A. Fox 20th January 1967 by Mr T.M. Rattigan, the playwright, and was originally going to be painted in sand with red leather and a red hood. In July 1967 the order was cancelled and the car was re-allocated for H.A. Fox own stock. At the end of 1967 the convertible was sold to Michael Caine Productions Ltd and the order changed to being painted in black with grey roof and tan leather upholstery, also specified was full air conditioning, hazard warning device, additional Grand Vitesse horns and BlueSpot self-seeker radio. The car was delivered to Sir Michael Caine, who had become a well-known actor following the success of films including Zulu, Alfie and playing Harry Palmer in The Ipcress File, Funeral in Berlin and Billion Dollar Brain, in Grosvenor Square, London in May 1968. In 1970 this very original Shadow Convertible was sold to Jake Leach, who with his wife owned the famous Chelsea restaurant The Gasworks on the Kings Road. His long-term ownership ended when he passed away in 2013. The car was sold and went into long term storage until now coming from the storage unit straight to Brooklands. Over the years it has hardly been used with the last MoT test certificate dating back from 2013 and the mileage reading 59,201. The oldest MoT test certificate on record is from 2005 with an odometer reading of 48,691. This example, except for the leather interior being re-connolized in light blue, appears to be in sound condition and is ready for cosmetic restoration and the mechanicals to be gone through. With only 505 early Mulliner Park Ward convertibles built this a rare opportunity to purchase a good project with good early providence. The car is supplied with a V5C registration document, copies of the original order forms and chassis cards supplied by the RREC, the MoT history, a picture of the car parked outside the restaurant and snippets from Memories of the Gasworks Restaurant, Chelsea.
Previous lotLot 217 - 1947 Bentley Mk. VI Saloon by Vanden Plas
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.