Lot 158 - 1951 Jaguar XK120 OTS Roadster

Lot 158 - 1951 Jaguar XK120 OTS Roadster

Lot 158 - 1951 Jaguar XK120 OTS Roadster

Lot Number 158
Registration VDR 120
Chassis Number 660545
Engine Number W2826-7
Odometer reading 41,047 miles
Estimate £85,000 - £95,000

The Jaguar XK120 was manufactured between 1948 and 1954 and was their first sports car since the SS100 which ceased production in 1940. It was launched in roadster form at the 1948 London Motor Show as a show car for the new Jaguar XK engine. It caused a sensation thus persuading Jaguar founder and design boss William Lyons to put the car into production. The '120' in its name referred to its top speed which made the XK120 the world's fastest standard production car at the time of its launch. It was available in two open versions; first as the roadster, then also as a drophead coupé from 1953 and also as a closed, or 'fixedhead' coupé from 1951. With alloy cylinder head and twin side-draft SU carburettors, the double overhead-cam 3.4 litre straight six XK engine was comparatively advanced for a mass produced unit of the time. With a standard compression ratio of 8:1 it developed 160bhp. This same basic design of the XK engine, later modified into 3.8 litre and 4.2 litre versions, survived into the late 1980s.

This original early right hand drive Jaguar XK120 roadster with chrome sidelights and no side vents, was originally supplied by Henley's to its original owner a Mr Oswald Salvador with a registration MGT 883. The Jaguar was purchased in the summer of 1969 by the previous owner who at the tender age of 19 paid £190 for it. In the intervening 49 years the XK has been used in competition like the Wiscombe Hillclimb with the Aston Martin Owners Club, touring with the Jaguar Owners Club and classic rallies. In 2010 the XK was the subject of a body off restoration, the chassis was galvanized, the rear springs were replaced with nine leaf alpine springs, a thicker anti-roll bar and Mk. II steering bushes were fitted, the rear axle was replaced with a Salisbury axle disc brakes were fitted all round and 16-inch 54 spoke wire wheels fitted. The original 3.4 litre engine block has been bored out to 3.8 litre with 9:1 compression ratio pistons. The head is a later type which has been straight ported and gas flowed, fitted with high lift camshafts and lead free valves and seats (the original stud less head comes with the car), the carburation is uprated with two inch SU’s carburettors. The body was stripped to bare metal and all necessary repairs were carried out before a full respray in the original colour of bronze. The interior has been re-trimmed in two-tone tan leather with matching carpets and the steering wheel is a smaller diameter leather rimmed example to allow the very tall driver access. This XK 120 is supplied with a V5C registration document, a Heritage certificate and a history file containing receipts, service details, MoT's and photographs of the restoration.

Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.

Web design & build by Edgebound