Lot 315 - 1955 Austin-Healey 100/4 M BN2L
|Chassis Number||BN2L 228344|
|Odometer reading||171 miles|
|Estimate||£72,000 - £80,000|
The Austin-Healey 100 was built between 1953 and 1956 by the British Motor Corporation. It was developed by Donald Healey to be produced in-house by Healey's small car company in Warwick using the Austin A90 Atlantic mechanicals.
Healey built a single 'Healey Hundred' for the 1952 London Motor Show, and the design impressed Leonard Lord, Managing Director of Austin, so much that a deal was struck with Healey to build it in quantity at Austin's Longbridge factory. The car was renamed the Austin-Healey 100. The first 100's (series 'BN1') were equipped with the same 90bhp engines and manual transmission as the Austin A90, but the gearbox was modified to be a three-speed unit with overdrive on second and top. The BN2 came with a real 4-speed manual transmission, still with overdrive on the top two gears. Features which distinguish the BN2 from the BN1 are the slightly larger front wheel arches, different rear axle and being the first 100 with optional two-tone paint. In 1955, a 100M model was developed as well, with larger carburettors, a cold air box to increase air flow to the carburettors, high-lift camshaft and 8.1:1 compression pistons. It produced 110bhp at 4500 rpm. The front suspension was stiffened and the bonnet gained louvres, along with a bonnet strap. There were 640 factory built 100Ms, all BN2 series cars, and most of the cars (approximately 70%) were finished with a two-tone paint scheme. The 100M components (except for the high compression pistons) were also available as the Le Mans Engine Modification Kit, which could be installed in either a BN1 or BN2 with the engine in situ, improving the power output to approximately 100bhp at 4500 rpm. The Le Mans kit and its component parts could be ordered from BMC, so cars were modified by Austin dealers and private owners.
This Austin Healey 100/4 was supplied new to the USA where it was converted to ’M’ specification by the supplying dealer using the Healey supplied Le Mans kit, including the correct factory steel bonnet. Purchased in 2002 as a restoration project, missing the original engine, the car was imported to the UK and has been subject to a complete restoration returning it back to ‘M’ specification and converting it to righthand drive. A replacement engine was acquired and completely rebuilt by Healey specialist Richard Parker and married to a BMW Getrag five speed gearbox. The restoration was done over a long period of time at a cost of £85,000. The car has only covered about 100 miles since being completed, so it would still be advised that the engine is still running in. Finished in red with black insert and black interior, this Healey has had all the taxes and duty paid and UK registration has been applied for. These early 100/4’s are eligible for a host of classic events including the Mille Miglia. This is a rare opportunity to acquire a very good 100/4 M which would be ideal for local or international classic car events.
Previous lotLot 314 - 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi (1.9 litre)
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.