Lot 237 - 1969 MG 1300 Mk. II Coupé
|Odometer reading||54,888 miles|
|Result||Sold - £6,608|
In 1962, a quite revolutionary new saloon was launched by BMC at the same time as the brand new MGB. Initially wearing the Morris badge, ADO16 was hot from the drawing boards of Alec Issigonis and Pininfarina. The Morris 1100 saloon was bristling with new technology and although the Mini had been launched very successfully in 1959, the 1100 was seen as offering quite a lot more for the money with, in 1962, a new MG version launched. It was given a face lift and now sported a 1275cc engine and a two door body. The fascia and instrumentation were improved and soon adopted as the MG 1300. The Mk. II adopted the Riley walnut veneer fascia panel that carried a revolution counter, speedometer, fuel, oil pressure and water temperature gauges as well as a smart leather-covered three-spoked alloy steering wheel.
This impeccable example was acquired by its first owner, L. S. Riebold Esq. of Southend on 28th August, 1969. Following his demise, the car was moved to his son's home in Hemel Hempstead. Each year, it would be taken out for its MoT test with the last mileage recorded at 37,664 miles. The next owner bought the car when it was 30 years old, in 1999. At that time, it is thought that, according to the DVLA, there were just 40 remaining on the road. In 2015, just 22 were left. It was then restored and the family moved to France in 2003. It has been thoroughly loved and enjoyed with trips into the Pyrenées to the border with Spain and enjoying picnics in fabulous Alpine settings. So with just two owners, a photographic rebuild and a comprehensive history, this charming British coupé has much to offer.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.