Lot 169 - 1959 Aston Martin DB4
|Odometer reading||971 miles|
|Estimate||£265,000 - £295,000|
|Result||Sold - £255,000|
Launched at the London Motor Show in 1958, the Aston Martin DB4 emphatically demonstrated that a British manufacturer could better the Italians at their own game when it came to constructing the ultimate Gran Turismo. Classically proportioned and instantly recognisable from the moment of its introduction, the Touring-styled DB4 established a look that would survive, with only minor revisions, until 1970. Following in the classic tradition of close-coupled sports saloons, the 3.7-litre DB4 Aston Martin carries orthodox modernity to its highest pitch. A luxurious two-seat saloon which can carry four adults when necessary, it recorded almost 140mph as a two-way mean speed over the measured mile. That the DB4 was able to manifest this rare combination of unrestrained high performance and civilised docility was down to its magnificent engine. An immensely strong platform-type chassis replaced the DB2/4's multi-tubular space frame, the latter being considered incompatible with Touring's Superleggera body construction that employed its own lightweight tubular structure to support the aluminium-alloy body panels. The DB4s peerless credentials as a Grand Routier were summed up thus by The Motor: 'Performance, controllability and comfort have been combined in the Aston Martin DB4 to make it a highly desirable car: one in which long journeys can be completed very quickly indeed with the minimum of risk or discomfort and the maximum of pleasure.'
Delivered in October, 1959, to a Mr. Plunkett of Langlye Street, WC2, London, from HWM in Brooklands, it was specified from the factory with an up-rated 3.31:1 axle and an HMV 400TA wireless. General factory servicing is recorded up to 1968 before a spell in Boston, Massachusetts.
1988 saw Michael Shearer of Battersea take delivery from The Autodrome; at this time it was described as ‘sold for restoration’. In 1989, substantial works took place with many parts ordered and works undertaken with invoices shown in the comprehensive history file. The engine was rebuilt once again in 1992 by Autodrome which also included a comprehensive restoration of the front and rear suspension, steering, brakes, electrical systems and exhaust. Both the interior and exterior were stripped and restored utilising four pages of parts as shown in the history. 1995 saw Mr. Lumsden assume ownership with general upkeep shifting to Goodwood Green Classics based in Battersea. It was here in 2000 that the car was uprated to a more powerful configuration. The engine block was replaced with a later DBS vantage C-Type unit bored out to 4.2 litres and fitted with Cosworth pistons. At the same time, new main bearing shells and big end bearing shells were fitted as well as being treated to a lead-free conversion with larger valves and three SU carburettors together with a new Borg & Beck clutch. 15” wheels can now be found at each corner with DB4GT front brake discs and callipers with Koni front shock absorbers and telescopic Koni shock absorbers fitted to the rear. A 22 pint sump was also fitted with oil cooler, electric fan and stainless steel exhaust. Mechanically sound, it would be fair to say, however, that the body work, although sound requires some cosmetic attention but it is supplied with a documented history back to its original purchase. The rear bumper is in poor condition and has been removed although is included in the sale. This now rapid DB4 drives well with excellent handling and a good interior. Supplied with a full one year MoT test certificate, it is continuously used and enjoyed and represents, very much, a driver’s car.
Next lotLot 170 - 1965 Peel 50
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.