1974 Austin Mini to Cooper S specification
|Odometer reading||23,712 miles|
Designed by Alex Issigonis in 1959, a new concept in car design was born. With a monocoque shell, transversely mounted engine and front wheel drive, the new 'Mini', soon became popular across a broad spectrum of the population. The potential for competition use was soon seen by John Cooper; BMC were finally persuaded by John Cooper and the two worked together in culminating the birth of the Austin Mini Cooper and the Morris Mini Cooper in 1961.
This 1974 Mini was recently discovered by one of our team members, having been owned and held within the same family since it was built to order in 1974. A fan of the Cooper S, the vendors wife wanted something a little more special and with a brother trained as a mechanical engineer, they together decided to create, what in their mind would be, the ultimate Mini. The project to build this car began in earnest in July 1972 when £85 was spent to purchase a rolling Austin Mini shell (chassis number 918077a) next to purchase was a Morespeed modified 1293cc Cooper ‘S’ rally engine, Supplied by Morespeed Conversions Ltd., Birmingham. This was twinned to an ‘S’ all synchro gearbox No. 5277, a 510 Camshaft, lightened cam followers, Cooper Oil Pump, 1275 ‘S’ cylinder head, two 1½" SU carburettors and an inlet manifold to suit. Other upgrades included a lightweight ‘S’ H.C. water pump all of which was supplied by Mike Coombe Racing in Rugby, Warwickshire.
The upgrades did not stop under the bonnet, an electrically heated rear screen was fitted along with a rear wiper arm, SU AAB needles and AUC 4578 springs were coupled to 5x10 Cosmic wheels with the rear wheels at a negative camber obviating the need for spats. It has a front-mounted oil-cooler just below the front grill and all brake pipework is made from 'CUNIFER 10' and runs inside the passenger compartment where possible. The Interior is in fabulous condition. There are additional bespoke gauges and switches mounted in the roof and the vacuum reservoir for the brake servo is located under the rear seat squab.
Built to order, receipts are present for virtually every item used, in a lovely history file. Unfortunately the car has been stored for many years now and thus needs some light cosmetic/structural work in order to be considered roadworthy but the engine is running well having been recently re-commissioned. We encourage viewing for what is truly a unique car.
Previous lotLot 174 - 1967 Mercedes-Benz 230 SL Pagoda
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.