Lot 184 - 1960 MG A 1600 Coupé *WITHDRAWN*
|Odometer reading||99,760 miles|
|Estimate||£13,000 - £17,000|
When the MGA arrived in 1955, it must have come as quite a shock to MG aficionados who had become used to the pre-war look of the company's sports cars. The MGA was a complete departure in styling for MG. Its beautiful streamlined body was right up to the minute in terms of appearance and it was powered by a new engine as MG had decided that the old XPAG unit had had its day. The MGA was powered by the much more modern B-series engine that had made its debut in the recently announced Magnette Saloon. MG enthusiasts had been given a hint of what was to come as early as 1951 when George Phillips drove a re-bodied TD Midget in the Le-Mans 24 hour endurance race. The car had been built for him by MG following his successes with his own TC, which had been fitted with a lightweight two-seat race car style body. So different was the appearance of his new TD racer, that it must have been difficult to believe that it was actually a venerable TD Midget underneath! It was a road-going version of the Phillips car which had been proposed to BMC in 1952 as a replacement for the TD Midget, but had been turned down because of the corporation's decision to build the Austin-Healey 100. MG had gone as far as building a full prototype of the MGA by using TD running gear, the 1250 XPAG engine, a re-designed chassis, and the MGA bodywork. When it eventually became clear that the TF Midget was a bit of a lame duck and would have to be replaced, the new MG sports car was finally given the chance it deserved. The delay in production had one advantage in that it allowed MG to refine the design and install the much newer 1489cc four cylinder B-series engine and its transmission from the Magnette Saloon.
First registered in July 1960 this lovely MGA Coupé was refurbished just 200 miles ago at a cost in excess of £6,500. Offered in Old English White with contrasting red it is in excellent order and, despite being off the road for four years, recent works include a replacement unleaded cylinder head, fuel tank and lines, new brakes, five new tyres and new carpets. The vendor explains that, prior to his ownership, the car had been laid up between 1976 and 1995 and in 2007 was subject to a restoration including a full bare metal re-spray. The extensive history file includes the Heritage Certificate and other documents which lead us to believe the current odometer reading is correct.
Supplied with a V5C registration document which shows the vendor is just the fourth owner, this is a rare opportunity to purchase such an example.
*DUE TO UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES THIS VEHICLE HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN