Lot 122 - 1937 Jowett Pick-up
|Result||Sold - £4,480|
Jowett was founded in 1901 by brothers Benjamin and William Jowett with Arthur V. Lamb. They started in the cycle business and went on to make V-twin engines for driving machinery. In 1904, they became the Jowett Motor Manufacturing Company based in Back Burlington Street, Bradford. The production car quickly became popular. That year, 1919, a new works site was bought at Springfield, Bradford Road, Idle, outside Bradford, Thereafter all Jowetts were 7hp until the introduction of the four-cylinder engine in 1936. It developed its maximum torque at low revs and was soon famed for its pulling power, reliability and economy. Commercial vehicles based on the car chassis were also built from 1922 and became an increasingly important part of the company's output. The first four-cylinder car arrived in 1936 with the 1,166cc twin carburettor, Jowett Ten which continued until the outbreak of war alongside the traditional twin-cylinder models which grew to 946cc in 1937. In 1935 the company went public and in 1936 Benjamin Jowett retired.
This Jowett presents in good condition having had restoration work carried out on her recently. However some minor issues will require attention as poor prevented finishing. The chassis is solid and the pick-up appears to be in a good condition mechanically, starting 'on the button' although the vendor has not used her in recent times. The cab will need a little time and investment although everything appears to be present. This righthand drive Jowett is rare and with Jowett being a manufacture with a very strong following, we expect this pick-up to create significant interest. Supplied with the original buff logbook, this Jowett is offered without reserve.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.