Lot 163 - 1973 Aston Martin V8
|Odometer reading||53,808 miles|
|Result||Sold - £43,680|
The Aston Martin V8 engine began development in the mid-sixties when it was first used in a Lola Sports racing car with a view to replacing the six-cylinder unit which had been in production since the DB4 in 1958. Aston Martin had converted a DB5 with an early V8 engine which was used for many thousands of development miles by the factory to create a usable and powerful eight-cylinder engine for use in the new DBS model that was due for production in 1968. Unfortunately, the engine wasn't ready in time for the launch of the DBS and it went on sale fitted with the six-cylinder engine used in the DB4/5/6. In 1971, the DBS V8 was launched, fitted with the long awaited Tadek Marek designed V8, an engine which powered all Aston Martin models until the launch of the DB7 in the early nineties. The DBS V8 was replaced by the V8 Series III and was unveiled to the press in London in August 1973. The shape of the new V8 was similar to the previous model but featured revised front end styling and one of the major differences was the replacement of the Bosch fuel injection system with Weber carburettors. A number of improvements were made to various other aspects of the car including improved cooling for the automatic transmission, oil and water. Two optional rear axle ratios were offered and the front seats were redesigned offering greater comfort to driver and passenger.
First registered on 14th October 1974, this V8 is finished in its original colour of Ascot Grey with a blue hide interior. Delivered new to the UK, the car comes complete with its original engine (V/540/1316) breathing through carburettors but unfortunately a valve broke and damaged a piston and conrod; the car is showing 53,808 miles. The vendor informs us the engine is dismantled but complete and will require a rebuild.
The car is supplied with a UK V5 document and an Aston Martin Heritage Trust Certificate. A clear HPI check shows that the previous registered keeper purchased the car on 29th April 1981 with two prior keepers. Only 2,360 hand-built V8's left the factory and are fast becoming highly collectible with this example well worth consideration as it is offered at no reserve.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.