Lot 108 - 1958 AEC Militant Flatbed Lorry
|Odometer reading||8,300 miles|
|Result||Sold - £6,720|
The AEC Militant (or 'Milly') was a post-war development of the Matador used during the Second World War. Externally, the most noticeable development was that the Mk. I Militants had six wheels compared to the previous model, the Matador's four wheels. Although primarily intended as a replacement for the Matador artillery tractor, other variants included an articulated lorry tractor unit, a General Service or cargo lorry with a longer wheelbase and as a chassis for mounting various cranes and other heavy equipment. The Militant served with the British Army (and others) in most parts of the world and was intended as an improved artillery tractor but, following the Second World War, the development of large artillery pieces was gradually dropped in favour of more effective rockets and missiles. It was credited with a good cross-country performance and was often used to recover the six-wheel drive Alvis Stalwart amphibious lorries that bogged in difficult conditions.
This 1958 AEC Militant is extremely unusual as it was sold directly into civilian life from new. It was ordered by English Electric for supply to the National Coal Board who employed it as a mines rescue vehicle. English Electric fitted it with a generator to the flat bed and a winch on a separate trailer, towed behind. This combination was used, in an emergency, to retrieve the transport cages if they became stuck in the main shaft of a mine. It served three coal mines in Kent but was used infrequently, thus only covering a genuine 8,300 miles from new. With this rescue vehicle, also comes the directions for the driver on how to get from one mine to the other, displayed on original ordinance survey maps of the period. It is also supplied with the original sales invoice giving a view of its build with the NCB. The lorry is fitted with an AEC 11.3 litre diesel engine giving an impressive 144hp and driving through a five-speed gearbox with high and low ranges giving a maximum road speed of 30mph. Drive to the front axle is selectable, giving a six-wheel drive configuration when required. Most variants, including this example, were fitted with a chassis mounted winch that was driven through the gearbox and operated from the cab. This winch, which was intended for manoeuvring of the towed field gun and for self-recovery of the vehicle, proved extremely strong and reliable. The vehicle has been professionally maintained, is exempt from MoT test and road tax and, interestingly, may be driven on a car licence.
(Flatbed dimensions - 21ft x 8ft)
INTERESTED PARTIES SHOULD NOTE THAT THIS LOT IS NOW BEING OFFERED AT NO RESERVE.
Previous lotLot 107 - 1968 Daimler 250 Saloon (V8)
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.