Lot 265 - 1951 Bentley Mk. VI Special by Padgett
|Odometer reading||88,104 miles|
|Estimate||£42,000 - £48,000|
|Result||Sold - £39,200|
Padgett Motor Engineering was established 1957 in Newbury, Berkshire by Alan Padgett. Alan was apprenticed as a motor mechanic in York during WWII until his conscription in 1946 serving in the Royal Air Force in the Far East. By 1949 he was back in England and having finished his apprenticeship, started working part time on motor vehicle repairs including Vintage cars. In 1954, now married, he and his wife moved to Newbury, Berkshire. Alan was involved with racing Bentleys after selling his first Vintage car, a 12/40 Lea Francis, and buying a 1926 Speed Model Three Litre. He worked part-time to gain essential experience from Tony Townshend at Whittonditch works from 1954. By 1964, a newly emerged class of post-war Bentleys were well known in racing, the Mk. Vl sports and racing 'specials'. The Bradley Brothers were the first to take this route and must be given full credit for such foresight. Padgetts first design, which proved to be popular, was built with a modified chassis to move the engine and transmission rearwards for the traditional sporting lines of a Bentley sports car, thereby setting a trend that has survived to this day. This ever improving class of Bentley sports car has paved the way for another style of Bentley now getting the headlines. The Bentley R-Type Continental Sports Saloon, upgraded to rally specification, of which some 12 have been rebuilt and proved to be a world-wide, highly sort-after Bentley of any genre. Jeremy Padgett eventually took over full control of the business in 1995 when his father retired after 54 years as a motor-engineer.
This attractive two-seater Bentley Mk. VI (Big Bore) Special with split screen 'V' windscreen and rounded tail was one of the first specials built by Alan Padgett in 1969. The vendor purchased the special in 1976 from Harry J. Sibley, a Rolls-Royce specialist based in Cornwall. To aid the purchase, he told his wife that the car had extra wide seating capable of accommodating two adults and two small children. The only changes to the car that the owner has done are in 1977 had an outside handbrake fitted and a new external stainless steel exhaust system. Much later he changed the polarity to negative earth and fitted electronic ignition. Finished in the traditional British Racing Green with brown leather interior, this beautiful Special is supplied with a V5C registration document, copies of old registration documents going back to Alan Padgett's ownership in 1969, a number of old MoT test certificates, the bill of sale from 1976 and items of correspondence including a letter from Padgett himself. Listed in Bentley Specials & Special Bentleys this is an opportunity to purchase a very attractive and properly maintained Bentley Special which was built by one of the leading Bentley builders of the time.