Lot 254 - 1959 MG A Twin Cam Roadster
|Odometer reading||0 miles|
|Estimate||£48,000 - £58,000|
|Result||Sold - £50,400|
Introduced in 1958, the MGA Twin Cam was the result of a lengthy and involved development but, disappointingly, it returned one of the shortest production runs that Abingdon had ever seen. This certainly makes the car somewhat a rarity with only 2,111 cars being produced between early 1958 and early 1960. The Twin Cam utilised an engine that was never fitted to any other car and was developed from the B series unit. It was difficult to extract more than 60bhp from the standard pushrod engine so Gerald Palmer, the Cowley's plant design engineer, turned his attention to a twin cam unit, the company being keen to get back into serious competition. A special light alloy, cross-flow cylinder head carried twin overhead camshafts housed by two smart looking alloy cam covers adorned the top of the cylinder head whilst a large finned aluminium sump helped to keep the lubricating oil cool. Further design works led to a very healthy 108bhp @ 6700rpm and with a maximum torque figure of 104Ib. ft. @ 4500rpm meant that the new MGA Twin Cam was to be no slouch! Of the 2,111 examples produced, 1,801 of which were roadsters. There is no doubt, that today, the MGA Twin Cam quite rightly has its niche in the MG history book and is a much desired classic.
We are delighted to offer this matching-numbers, UK home-market supplied MGA Twin Cam that still wears its original designated number plate. Manufactured on 9th September 1959, XHL 866 has just undergone an extensive body-off restoration resulting in the fabulous example offered. Mechanically, the restoration included an engine overhaul with particular attention being paid to the cylinder head, this being built to the original specification and the addition of a Hi-Torque starter motor aiding reliable starting. The wiring loom has been replaced and the suspension and Dunlop braking system, with its unique brake master cylinder and brake discs on each corner, have been rebuilt and re-bushed. The coachwork has been carefully attended to and includes the factory fitted steel wings, all in exemplary condition. The final finish has been carried out to a very high standard in Chariot Red, its original factory colour. The interior seats are trimmed in black leather with red piping, the interior further featuring the original factory fitted steering wheel. A new hood will keep the occupants dry when required and complimenting the coachwork is the chrome work and badges that, apart from the windscreen surround, have all been re-chromed or replaced. A set of new Continental tyres adorns the wonderful and original Dunlop peg wheels (wire wheels were never an option on the MGA). A history file includes a British Motor Industry Heritage Trust Certificate shows that this is a matching numbers MGA Twin Cam and one of only 210 UK home-market, righthand drive cars built. Although not a legal requirement, this UK registered MGA will arrive at the sale with a fresh MoT test certificate, the vendor wishing for a new owner to have peace of mind.
The charm of this MGA Twin Cam is that it has not been over restored to a highly chromed and polished state, but sympathetically restored to a condition that very much reflects how it may have appeared from the factory in 1959. With so few genuine UK home market, righthand drive surviving MGA Twin Cams, there is no doubt that today, this car, built to this standard, is a much desired example of the marque.