Lot 256 - 1954 Jaguar XK120 SE Roadster
|Odometer reading||54,960 miles|
|Estimate||£95,000 - £110,000|
The Jaguar XK120 was manufactured between 1948 and 1954 and was Jaguar's first sports car since the SS100 which ceased production in 1940. The XK120 was launched in roadster form at the 1948 London Motor Show as a show car for the new Jaguar XK engine. It caused a sensation, thus persuading Jaguar founder and design boss William Lyons to put the car into production. The '120' in its name referred to its 120mph top speed which made the XK120 the world's fastest standard production car at the time of its launch. It was available in two open versions; first as the roadster, then also as a Drophead coupé from 1953 and also as a closed, or 'Fixedhead' coupé from 1951. With an alloy cylinder head and twin side-draft SU carburettors, the double overhead-cam 3.4 litre straight six XK engine was comparatively advanced for a mass-produced unit of the time. With a standard compression ratio of 8:1 it developed 160bhp. This same basic design of the XK engine, later modified into 3.8 litre and 4.2 litre versions, survived into the late 1980s. All XK120s had independent torsion bar front suspension; semi-elliptic leaf springs at the rear, re-circulating ball steering, telescopically adjustable steering column and all-round 12 inch drum brakes.
This Jaguar XK120SE was dispatched from Jaguar Cars on 13th April 1953 to Hoffmans in New York. In 2011, the car was brought back to the UK and registered with the DVLA; a V5C registration document and current MoT test certificate are supplied in the history file. Although quite a sound and original example when she arrived here, the vendor has undertaken a total 'body off' restoration project as well as a number of significant improvements. The engine has been fully rebuilt by marque specialist Guy Broad and a five-speed gearbox has been fitted along with a power lock rear axle. The brakes have been uprated to disc brakes all-round, new shock absorbers fitted and the suspension has been polybushed. An aluminium fuel tank has been fitted as has an aluminium radiator. During the restoration she was converted to righthand drive, at the same time an extended pedal box was fitted making this a car that a six foot plus pilot can drive comfortably. Finished in silver with red parchment interior and sitting proudly on wire wheels, this XK120 is a splendid example.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.