Lot 201 - 1936 Rolls-Royce 25/30 Sedanca de Ville by Park Ward
|Odometer reading||835 miles|
|Estimate||£23,000 - £28,000|
|Result||Sold - £26,880|
The Rolls-Royce 25/30, built between 1936 and 1938, is an updated version of the 20/25 featuring a larger engine than had been fitted to the earlier model which provided more power to compensate for the over-size bodies being built. The in-line six cylinder, overhead valve, engine was similar to that used in the 20/25 but increased in capacity to 4,257cc. A single proprietary Stromberg downdraught carburettor replaced the Rolls-Royce one and magneto ignition was no longer fitted but a spare ignition coil was provided. The riveted chassis had rigid front and rear axles suspended by half elliptic springs with hydraulic dampers. Braking was on all four wheels assisted by a mechanical servo with separate rear brakes fitted for the handbrake. Also fitted was the traditional Rolls-Royce radiator with vertical louvres, the angle of which was controlled thermostatically to control engine cooling. Only the chassis and mechanical parts were made by Rolls-Royce. The body was then made and fitted by a coachbuilder selected by the owner.
GLU 2, the second Rolls-Royce 25/30, was built as a propaganda/trials car and initially intended to be fitted with a saloon body by Barker which was then changed when the chassis was sent to Park Ward and fitted with this very pretty Sedanca de Ville body. On completion, Rolls-Royce entered it as the official car in the 1936 JCC Rally in the United States and Canada. There is a copy of a photograph from 'Rolls-Royce - Twenty to Wraith' by Alex Harvey-Bailey, of the car on the docks in front of the luxury liner, the Queen Mary, prior to departure. After the trials, the car was returned to the factory, prepared and sold to Mrs. Leney of Faversham, Kent who kept the car for two years before selling it, in 1938, to Charles Cottrill of Southport; the next listed owner was his wife, Elsie Cottrill in 1951 and then D.R. Cottrill in 1965. After this date, little is known about the keepers until a Mr. A. M. Johnson acquired the car in October 1988 and had a new cylinder head fitted in 1990. The vendor purchased the car in 2005 and, being an active member of the RREC, he took part in a number of rallies including, in 2011, being one of the 100 cars driven through London in the Rolls-Royce Spirit of Ecstasy Centenary Drive. Finished in its original colours of grey with grey interior, GLU 2 is supplied with a V5C registration document, the old pre-war buff log books, the RREC copies of the original chassis cards, old MoT test certificates, a small number of invoices and other documents. Some work is necessary to get the Park Ward patterned Sedanca roof to work and a light sympathetic restoration to the coachwork is required to bring the car back to its former glory, but this is an ideal opportunity to purchase a very original 25/30 which runs well and is mechanically sound.
Previous lotLot 200 - 1974 Ford Granada Mk. I GXL (3 Litre)
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.