Lot 249 - 1959 Austin-Healey 100/6 BN4
|Chassis Number||BN4L S75477|
|Engine Number||29D/RU7H 18814|
|Odometer reading||2,724 miles|
|Estimate||£25,000 - £30,000|
|Result||Sold - £29,120|
Austin-Healey was established through a joint venture arrangement set up in 1952 between Leonard Lord of the Austin division of the British Motor Corporation and the Donald Healey Motor Company, a renowned automotive engineering and design firm. Austin-Healey cars were produced until 1972 when the 20 year agreement between Healey and Austin came to an end. Donald Healey left the company in 1968 when British Motor Holdings was merged into British Leyland. Healey joined Jensen Motors who had been making bodies for the 'Big Healeys' since their inception in 1952 and became their chairman in 1972. The Austin-Healey was developed by Donald Healey to be produced in-house by Healey's small car company in Warwick. Healey built a single 'Healey Hundred' for the 1952 London Motor Show and the design impressed Leonard Lord so much that a deal was struck with Healey to build it in quantity at Austin's Longbridge factory and the car was renamed the Austin-Healey 100.
This example is finished in, arguably, the most striking colour combination, ivory white and red and was first registered in California before being imported to the UK in 1990. Upon arrival, the Healey underwent a full restoration programme which included righthand drive conversion and body and interior refurbishment; it is believed that the engine was also upgraded to 3000 specification at the same time. This Austin Healey 100/6 BN4 is supplied with a full set of weather equipment, a V5C registration document, an MoT test certificate which expires in March 2016, a Heritage certificate, service manual, parts book and a file containing old MoT certificates, invoices and a reproduction handbook. This honest and very solid 100/6 BN4 will deliver many more years of driving pleasure with its classic good looks and strong performance.