Lot 289 - 1948 Alvis TA14 Three Position Drophead Coupé by Carbodies
|Chassis Number||TA14 22787|
|Engine Number||TA14 22787|
|Estimate||£18,000 - £22,000|
|Result||Sold - £16,240|
Following the end of World War II, Alvis quickly re-emerged with a revised range of passenger cars. They had been kept busy building military vehicles during the war so were able to revert to peacetime products quite quickly. As with most other manufacturers, there was no time or money to develop new lines, therefore the new TA14 was really a freshened-up pre-war version of the 12/70 which had been introduced in 1938, the most obvious difference being the adoption of steel disc wheels in place of wires. Alvis had always sold well-built cars with sporting pretensions. The TA14 offered little in terms of real performance but did come well equipped and beautifully finished. The TA14 used an 1892cc, four cylinder engine and rigid axles at the front and rear. Although most TA14's were 'Sports Saloons' a few carried drophead coupé coachwork, some being built by Tickford. The TA14 remained in production until 1950.
This is a magnificent old British motorcar with a commanding presence and, in its day, would have been on a par with a Rolls-Royce or Bentley. This Alvis is an original Carbodies three position drophead coupé with all numbers matching and is finished in gloss black with black hood and original biscuit leather seats. It was off the road for 20 years from 1982-2002 and was then restored from the ground up including new wood flooring throughout the car and boot, plus a complete re-spray. The engine was stripped, inspected and new piston rings were manufactured to fit and the engine was rebuilt and now runs on unleaded petrol. New worm steering components were fitted and the steering wheel re-coated plus much of the chrome work re-chromed. It had a new stainless steel flexible exhaust fitted plus new headlights and front grill. Much care and attention has been spent on re-commissioning the car following the restoration which was completed in 2003/4. It was then used as a weekend car, for friends' weddings and school proms. The car has had only a handful of owners in its long life and has travelled just 66,000 miles from new, with a mere 6,000 miles completed since the restoration.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.