Lot 252 - 1926 Talbot 10/23 Tourer

Lot 252 - 1926 Talbot 10/23 Tourer

Lot 252 - 1926 Talbot 10/23 Tourer

Lot Number 252
Registration DD 8723
Chassis Number 210.19851
Engine Number 19851
Odometer reading 1,000 miles
Estimate £9,000 - £11,000
Result Sold - £12,320

Clément Talbot was founded during 1903 and despite the French-sounding name it was, in fact, an English company; the name being taken from two of its directors, the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot and the French car manufacturer, Adolph Clément. Initially the company imported the popular French Clément cars into Britain, although from 1905 Talbots were producing cars of their own design in London. Edwardian Talbot cars soon gained an enviable record in competition and a special bodied Talbot 25hp, driven by Percy Lambert, was the first car to complete 100 miles in the hour, here at Brooklands in 1913. Following the Great War, Talbot along with Sunbeam, was acquired by the Darracq Company, creating the STD combine. The chief designer at this time was Georges Roesch, a gifted engineer who had joined the organisation in 1916 following a spell at Daimler. Roesch's design philosophy of lightness and the increase of output by means of higher rpm was vindicated with the 10/23 model announced in 1923, a development of the successful 8/18 light car. A model of high quality, it was powered by an OHV engine of 1074cc and featured a plate clutch, in-unit three-speed gearbox with central change, torque tube, spiral bevel back axle and quarter-elliptic suspension. It was capable of brisk performance for its size, with a top speed of some 55mph, allied to extremely good fuel economy and was regarded as the outstanding light car of its time.


This delightful, late example, was registered in Gloucestershire on 6th January 1926 and carries the relatively rare factory supplied four-seater tourer coachwork.  Nothing is known of its early history but it was acquired in the 1960s by Mr Marston Webb of Gloucester and has remained in the ownership of his family ever since, with Mr Webb's half brother, Mr Peter Fewster becoming custodian of the Talbot in 1985, who in turn passed the car on to his daughter in 2007.


Work carried out in recent years includes an engine rebuild, new upholstery and a replacement hood and side screens. Also a new exhaust system has been recently fitted. The engine is said to start readily on the handle and was running eagerly at the time of inspection. The Talbot has seen little use in recent years so some light recommisioning is advisable; for example there is an electric starter fitted which is not presently working. The Talbot comes with a V5C registration certificate and represents a rare opportunity to purchase a high quality vintage light car which will bring a huge amount of enjoyment for a modest price and which is eligible for the popular VSCC Light Car Section events.

 

Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.

Web design & build by Edgebound