Lot 257 - 1936 MG NB Magnette
|Chassis Number||NA 0950|
|Engine Number||1115 AN|
|Estimate||£45,000 - £55,000|
The N Type Magnette was launched in 1934 as the replacement for the Magna. It featured a new chassis s which departed, for the first time on an MG, from the standard 'ladder type' frame chassis, with the side frame members being wider at the rear than at the front. There was also the innovation of outrigger members being mounted on Silentbloc rubber bushes. These were fixed to the side and rear of the main chassis and carried the body which resulted in a more comfortable ride. The first N type became designated the NA and was available either as a two seater or four seater open tourer with the usual slab type petrol tank being disguised behind a very elegant swept tail that incorporated a semi recessed spare wheel.
A modified version of the KD type engine powered the N Type. This unit had a displacement of 1271cc and a power output of 56bhp at 5,500rpm. Modifications were fairly extensive involving the cylinder block, cylinder head, inlet manifold, oil lubrication system and clutch. These modifications introduced a twenty five percent power increase over the basic KD unit and gave the N type quite brisk performance. The gearbox was very similar to that used in the L type being non-synchromesh and having a reverse gate. Different ratios however were employed giving lower first and second gears and higher cruising speeds in third and top.
For 1936 the NB variant was introduced featuring a close ratio gearbox, a lowered scuttle line and forward hinged doors. A slatted radiator, similar to the PB Midget, was fitted to distinguish it from its predecessors. The NB was the last of the overhead cam MGs to be produced before being finally replaced by the one and a half litre, four cylinder VA model with pushrod overhead valve engine; a much less sporting proposition.
This four seater NB Magnette was first registered in Oxford on 13th September 1936 and after a series of owners in the Bristol area, was purchased in 1967 by Mr. Marston Webb of Gloucester. The MG has remained in the same family ownership ever since, with Mr. Webb's half brother Peter Fewster becoming custodian in 1997, who in turn passed the car onto his daughter. In 1979, while in Mr. Webb's ownership, the MG was the subject of a considerable amount of restoration by C.A.R.S. of Cheltenham which included rebuilding the ash body frame, new wings, wiring loom, crown wheel and pinion, radiator and a complete retrim with new hood and tonneau. There are a number of non-original items on the car, most notably the repositioning of the dynamo from the front of the engine. These pre-date Mr. Webb's ownership of the car and therefore have been a part of the MG for the greater part of its life.
In recent years the MG has been used very sparingly but maintained in good condition. The engine starts readily and shows good oil pressure. A brief test showed the transmission and brakes to be working well with supple suspension and a good solid feel to the chassis and body. The car comes with a current V5C registration certificate, an old buff logbook, some bills and old MoT test certificates. There is also a tonneau cover and hood bag. Late six cylinder ohc MGs do not come to the market often as relatively few were made and this NB Magnette, while offering some scope for cosmetic improvement, is ready to use and enjoy now.
Previous lotLot 256 - 1978 Ferrari 308GTS
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.