Lot 277 - 1961 Bentley S2 Continental Flying Spur (Ex-Bernie Ecclestone)
|Odometer reading||45,000 miles|
|Estimate||£110,000 - £130,000|
Introduced at the 1959 London Motor Show, the Bentley S2 had an all-alloy 200 horsepower V8 engine and, because of its alloy construction, weighed the same as the six-cylinder S1 it replaced. The S2's driving manners were much improved with a Hydramatic transmission, upgraded power-assisted brakes, and power steering. Inside, the S2 had a new dashboard, incorporating updated gauges. As a sportier variant of the S2, the factory Continental model had upgraded brakes and higher rear axle ratio to handle the continent's high-speed motorways. With a top speed of about 113mph, Continentals were consistently faster, quieter, and more comfortable than standard production cars. Certain customers, however, preferred more luxurious bespoke coachwork to the standard steel-bodied factory offerings. For these discerning individuals H. J. Mulliner was one of the last coachbuilders employed by Bentley to build the four-door Flying Spur saloon. As such, the coachbuilt S2 Continentals were among the most luxurious, stylish, and desirable of all the Bentley variants.
The Bentley S2 Continental offered here was originally sold in 1961 by H. R. Owen to M. O. Lewis & Co., finished in Regal Red with a Beige interior. Two years later, this righthand drive S2 was purchased by a Mrs Daly of Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire. Mrs Daly had the car for less than a year as she sold it in 1964 to L. A. Beck of Gloucester, who then passed it on to R. Forster, near Manchester, in 1966. By 1983, the car resided with Rodney Lloyd of Gerrards Cross, before its transatlantic journey in 1986 to John Edwards of Great Falls, Virginia, in the Greater Washington DC area. Edwards's Bentley was finally sold to the Ecclestone Collection in the early 1990s. Mr. Ecclestone kept the car for 15 year, only traveling 700 miles during his ownership than sold it off as a part of the famous 'Ecclestone Collection' in October 31st 2007. Graham Hunt of Bramley of Kensington then acquired it and sold it on to the current owner. Unhappy with the yellow colour scheme it wore, a complete restoration was decided upon to present it in a more fitting colour scheme of Tudor Grey with a matching Stone leather interior. The wooden dash and other fitments were also renovated as well as brakes etc with all bills on file totalling over £40,000. Many consider the S2 and S3 models to be the last 'proper' Bentleys ever built - particularly the Continentals. This lovely coachbuilt Flying Spur is certainly one of the most attractive of them all and its exceptional and largely restored condition lends the car a wonderful feel, sure to be appreciated by any discerning fan of the marque.
Previous lotLot 276 - 1954 Jaguar XK140 Aluminium Roadster
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.