Lot 307 - 1950 Douglas Competition Trials
|Estimate||£2,000 - £3,000|
|Result||Sold - £3,472|
Douglas, from Kingswood, Bristol, are known for their horizontally opposed twin cylinder engined bikes and as manufacturers of speedway and trials machines. In the 1920s Douglas built the first disc brakes and had a Royal Warrant for the supply of motorcycles to the Princes, Albert and Henry. Motorcycle production continued into World War II and afterwards produced the 350cc flat twin models. The first of these models designated the T35 was one of the first production motorcycles to be fitted with rear swinging arm. Douglas had success in trials events with 12 entered in both the junior and senior heats and another three in the Sidecar race during the 1923 TT. These entries gave Douglas their first senior Isle of Man TT victories. Other victories followed, marking Douglas as a serious competitor.
Originally built in 1950, this motorcycle was first registered however in 2012. 1994 saw its acquisition by the vendor and the start of its rebuild. Starting with a chassis, its component parts were slowly and meticulously acquired over a number of years. These are rare bikes and trips as far as Scotland were not unusual for several key components. The competition engine and competition gearbox are fully rebuilt. Bearing in mind that examples of Douglas trials bikes are thought to number in single figures, this example, complete now with Douglas Motorcycle Club accreditation, a UK registration document and a full 12-month MoT test certificate, represents a bit of a find.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.