Lot 167 - 1950 Daimler DE36 Touring Limousine by Freestone & Webb
|Estimate||£6,000 - £12,000|
|Result||Sold - £14,280|
The highly esteemed Daimler Motor Co. Ltd. of Coventry, England introduced its superb DE36 ultra luxury-car chassis in 1946. The firm was, at the time, just returning to car production after a six-year hiatus brought about by World War II. It had all the qualities of silence and dignity of which Daimler is a synonymous with; speed, acceleration and roadholding. British royalty used several DE36 cars, as England's Daimler had long been the motorcar of choice for the nation's Royal family. According to the DE Registry website, additional royal first owners included the King of Thailand, Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie, the King of Afghanistan and the Prince and Princess of Monaco.
One of just six built, this imposing and well built example razor-edged, close-coupled touring limousine coachwork by specialist, Freestone & Webb. ONW129 was purchased new by the Bishop of Leeds who, in turn, sold it to a wedding hire company in Wales. It was then sold on privately through a small ad in the Times in the mid to late 1960s to Mr. Rupert Spink. It was used by them right up until 1977 when it then passed to noted Daimler Historian, Brian Smith where it featured in his acclaimed, two-volume tome, 'Daimler Days'. Indeed it has also been described in another Dalton Watson publication as "the last of the great straight 8's" and "fairly undervalued". The car was complete but drab in its original black and navy blue faded paint and improvised interior trim, Rexine replacing leather and cloth. He then began a restoration exercise, mechanically it required little although later it suffered from a stuck valve and the head was sent it away for a professional overhaul. Part of the exhaust system was also replaced and new gaskets fitted to head and manifolds. The paintwork was rubbed down and made ready for its new colour scheme and the car then went to professional trimmers who completely renewed the interior. The interior woodwork was re-polished and re-chroming took place where necessary. With new tyres, it was then enjoyed and indeed went on to transport all three daughters to their respective weddings. In 2000, it was sold, in good running order, to Mike Batt in Upminster and then to the vendor shortly after. Recently overhauled and in running order, this splendid example is ready for some fine outings over the summer months.
Previous lotLot 166 - 1970 Rolls-Royce 2-door Mulliner Park Ward
Next lotLot 168 - 1935 Lagonda M45 Rapide
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.