Lot 281 - 1963 Rover P5 Mk. II Saloon
|Odometer reading||49,000 miles|
|Estimate||£5,000 - £8,000|
|Result||Sold - £4,816|
The P5 appeared in September 1958 badged as the '3-Litre'. It was powered by a 2995cc engine, a straight-six that used an overhead intake valve plus side exhaust valve; an unusual arrangement inherited from the Rover P4. Automatic transmission, overdrive (if you chose to opt for the manual) and power steering were optional, with overdrive becoming standard from May 1960. Stopping power came originally from a Girling brake system that employed 11-inch drums all round but this was a heavy car, so by the time of the London Motor Show in October 1959, Girling front-wheel power discs brakes had appeared. The Mk. II version of the P5 was introduced in 1962. It featured more power from the same three litre engine and an improved suspension whilst also dropping the glass wind deflectors from the top of the window openings. The most notable addition to the range was the option of the coupé body style, launched in Autumn 1962.
This very original 1963 Rover P5 has had three owners from new; the first two lived in Wales and the second one only sold the car in 2013. The car has been in dry storage for a number of years and it is believed that the mileage of 49,000 miles is correct but cannot be guaranteed. This P5 has been re-commissioned since being in storage which included a brake overhaul. Finished in light navy blue with buckskin leather interior, it is supplied with a V5C registration document, the buff log book, the owner's handbook and a service book. Rovers from this period are becoming more and more sought after because of their style and build quality and are always a favourite with the Royal family.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.