Lot 166 - 1970 Rolls-Royce 2-door Mulliner Park Ward
|Estimate||£40,000 - £45,000|
|Result||Sold - £47,040|
Rolls-Royce Motors formed Mulliner Park Ward by the 1961 merger of two Rolls-Royce subsidiaries: Park Ward of Willesden, London, a Rolls-Royce subsidiary since 1939 and H. J. Mulliner & Co. of Chiswick, a Rolls-Royce subsidiary since 1959. Mulliner Park Ward continues to operate as the vehicle customization division of Bentley Motors Limited, the successor of Rolls-Royce Motors. The Corniche was a development of the Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow with the two door variants of that model marketed as the 'Silver Shadow Mulliner Park Ward' two-door fixedhead coupé, the very handsome coachwork design was by John Polwhele Blatchley. The model was assembled and finished in London at Mulliner Park Ward as continuation of the 1965 Silver Shadow coupé, the Corniche name was applied from 1971 for all two-door coupés. The car used the standard Rolls-Royce V8 6750cc engine, with an aluminium-silicon alloy block and aluminium cylinder heads with cast iron wet cylinder liners mated to a three-speed automatic transmission from General Motors.
This incredibly handsome 2-door Rolls-Royce was supplied by Lex Mead of Weybridge on 23rd October 1970 at a cost of £8,658 and has only had three owners in total during its' 45 years on the road. The car has only covered 37,000 miles in total and this is warranted by a great history file. Described as 'like driving your favourite armchair', the level of comfort from this Rolls-Royce is what is expected from such a premium marque. The silver coachwork is in excellent condition as is the sumptuous rich red interior. Supplied with a V5 registration document and an MoT test certificate valid until 21st November 2015, rarely do such splendid examples as this come to market.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.