Lot 275 - 1932 Lagonda 16/80 Special Speed Six Open Tourer
|Estimate||£68,000 - £78,000|
Lagonda was founded in 1906 in Staines, Middlesex by an American, Wilbur Gunn, who had named the company after a river near to his birthplace in Springfield, Ohio, United States. Mr. Gunn had originally built motorcycles in the garden of his house in Staines with reasonable success, including a win in the 1905 London - Edinburgh trial. In 1907 he launched his first car; the 20hp, six-cylinder Torpedo which he used to win the Moscow-St. Petersburg trial of 1910. This success produced a healthy order for exports to Russia which continued until 1914.
The first of the company's sports models was launched in 1925 as the 14/60 with a twin-cam 1954cc, four cylinder engine and hemispherical combustion chambers. The car was designed by Arthur Davidson who had come from Lea-Francis. A higher output engine came in 1927 with the two litre Speed Model followed by a Sports Touring model, the 16/80. The first part of its name referred to its fiscal horsepower rating of 16 with the second number in its name referring to the car's bhp. However, one well informed owner suggests that it may have referred to the car's claimed top speed of 80mph. The car was unusual in being the only Lagonda to be offered with a Crossley engine; however, each engine purchased was stripped down by Lagonda, checked and fitted with twin SU carburettors, according to their own specifications before becoming the heart of a 16/80.
The previous owner acquired APG 489 in November 1978 with the late Peter Garner of Landbeach owning the car before him. It is reported to be utterly reliable during this period and was indeed meticulously maintained for its owner by a respected and highly skilled engineer who prepares vintage cars and motorcycles for active competition. It now possesses a gentle patina that is only acquired through careful ownership over many years. Approximately 24 years ago, its T3 body was repainted in its present British Racing Green livery. The coachwork is upholstered in tan leather and enjoys the benefit of a fold-down arm rest for the rear seat complemented by leather-trimmed Wilton carpets. The particular coachwork styling of this model includes useful luggage storage space behind the back seat. Driving equipment includes a fine pair of Marchal headlamps, Lucas side lamps and a Lucas centre spot/driving lamp together with an impressive pair of Lucas trumpet horns. The coachwork benefits from four doors and excellent weather equipment includes hood and side screens. The car sits on 18 inch wheels with a nearside mounted spare and the windscreen opens to allow added ventilation. Concessions to reliable running include the fitting of twin petrol pumps and two 12 volt batteries. A delightful period piece is the early Ferranti radio which is still operational and complements instrumentation which appears to be all original or 'in-period'. More recently, she has undergone a £10,000 comprehensive mechanical overhaul and now boasts a new radiator core (to original pattern); an overhauled water pump with sealed bearing; new prop shaft and rebalanced flywheel; new clutch; twin fuel pumps, overhauled carburettors and starter motor.
New brake drums and relined shoes are also present with new front tyres and tubes. Modern indicators are concealed in the original lamps and the hood & sidescreens have been rejuvenated and are in good original condition. It is now reported to be a delight to drive with an original dash and all instruments functioning. The engine is Sanction One unit but with the oil feed uprated to Sanction Two specification.
Offered with a comprehensive history of invoices, MoT test certificates and the original green log book, this model is actively catered for by both The Vintage Sports-Car Club and The Lagonda Club and is eminently suitable for the longer distance motoring events.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.