Lot 295 - 1951 Daimler DB18 Open Tourer Conversion
|Odometer reading||80,000 miles|
|Result||Sold - £10,640|
The Daimler DB18 is a 2½-litre version of the preceding 2.2-litre New Fifteen introduced in 1937. Using the engine developed for the Daimler Scout Car, it was offered to customers from 1939 as a six-cylinder chassis on which Daimler and various British coach builders offered a range of bodies including drop-head coupés. The model was introduced immediately before the start of the World War II, during which the company was compelled to concentrate on the manufacture of military vehicles. Therefore most DB18s were produced after 1945. The car was supplied with the Daimler Fluid Flywheel coupled to a four-speed Wilson Pre-selector gearbox.
This unusual example has been owned by the current vendor for the last 25 years, it has mainly been used for family outings and occasionally for weddings. It was originally purchased in Chippenham, Wiltshire from a marine engineer who purchased the car as a hobby. He had skillfully converted the car from a four-door Consort to a two-door DB18 Open Tourer. The car has been kept in a dry garage and very well looked after. Although in 'oily-rag' condition, various works were completed at 65,000 miles and included all new brake linings, new plugs and points, new marine-ply floor, new carpets and all wings and doors removed, re-painted and refitted with new nuts and bolts. Seatbelts have been installed as the car has been used with children but the belts can be hidden away under the seats. It has recently had an inspection by a mechanic and is running and ready for the next owner.