Lot 334 - 1955 Austin-Healey 100/4 BN1
|Estimate||£35,000 - £42,000|
|Result||Sold - £43,680|
The Austin-Healey 100 was built between 1953 and 1956 by the British Motor Corporation. It was developed by Donald Healey to be produced in-house by Healey's small car company in Warwick and based on Austin A90 Atlantic mechanics. Healey built a single 'Healey Hundred' for the 1952 London Motor Show and the design impressed Leonard Lord, Managing Director of Austin, so much so that a deal was struck with Healey to build it in quantity at Austin's Longbridge factory. The car was renamed the Austin-Healey 100. The first 100's (series 'BN1') were equipped with the same 90bhp engines and manual transmission as the stock A90 but the transmission was modified to be a three-speed unit with overdrive on second and top. The BN2 came with a real four-speed manual transmission, still with overdrive on the top two gears. Features which distinguish the BN2 from the BN1 are the slightly larger front wheel arches, different rear axle and being the first 100 with optional two-tone paint.
This extremely well presented BN1 was first restored in 1992 by David Palmer at 'David's Place' in the US. A fully documented and photographed nine-month restoration took place at this time by the then owner at that time, a Dr. Paul Palmer, a dentist from Culver City. The result was subsequently featured in a magazine article making note of the 12-volt conversion, discrete CD/radio fitting and electric aerial as well as its return to its original colour of Colorado red. In 2003, a full mechanical restoration took place by 'British Car Specialists' owned by the renowned Norman Nook, the so-called 'Dr. Healey'. As you would expect, full documented and invoiced paperwork can be found within the history file. Works included a full engine rebuild to unleaded specification, lightened flywheel as well as an upgrade to M-Specification (minus carburettors and airbox). The suspension has also been fully rebuilt using splined hubs and poly-bushes. The brakes have been rebuilt as well as carburettors, fuel pump and tank. The weather equipment is new and of high quality as is the interior leather trim and Wilton wool carpeting. The total cost of which exceeded $33,000. Subsequent to this, another interior re-trim took place including leather seats and centre armrest to the quality you see here today. The 72-spoke chrome wire wheels are new and a four-speed gearbox is also fitted. More recently, in June this year, a full service was carried out by Retro Marques in Worcestershire and this extremely fine example also comes with a British Motor Industry Heritage certificate showing its correct matching numbers. In short, excellent.
Previous lotLot 333 - 1962 Jaguar Mk.II Saloon (3.8 Litre)
Next lotLot 335 - 1969 Bristol 410 Coupé
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.