Lot 207 - 1960 Ford Zephyr Mk II
|Odometer reading||86,939 miles|
|Estimate||£6,000 - £8,000|
The Mk. I Ford Consul and Zephyr models were first displayed at the Earl's Court motor show in 1950. They were the first to use, in mass production, the MacPherson Strut independent front suspension, which is still widely used today. Production began with the Consul on 1ST January 1951. The original model ran until 1956 when the Mk. II Consul, Zephyr and Zodiac went on sale and were known as the Three Graces. In 1956 the Consul, Zephyr and Zodiac were all restyled to a new family look. The six-cylinder engines were enlarged to 2,553cc with power output correspondingly increased to 86bhp. The Mk. II range was a big seller and finished its run in 1962 when from April that year the Mk. III Zephyr 4, Zephyr 6 and Zodiac went on sale.
This Ford Zephyr was originally registered on 1st July, 1960 and has had only five former keepers throughout its 54 years on the road. This Zephyr is a sound example with no excessive corrosion and appearing to be in good order mechanically. The straight six 2553cc engine started first time and ran exceedingly smoothly and quietly. On our test drive the column gearchange operated perfectly well, as did the brakes, steering and suspension. Finished in beige with red trim, it should be noted the drivers section of the enormous bench seat could do with a little repair. Supplied with a V5 registration document and a full years MoT test certificate together with some history, UDL 893 spent much of her life on the Isle of Wight so, the 86,900 miles could well be presumed to be genuine, although this is not warranted. This Ford Zephyr is sure to attract attention as well as provoking some of those childhood memories.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.