Lot 239 - 1938 Morgan 4-4
|Estimate||£18,000 - £22,000|
The Morgan Motor Company, a family-owned company, was founded in 1910 by Henry Frederick Stanley Morgan in Malvern, Worcestershire. The Morgan 4/4 was the Morgan Company's first car with four wheels. It appeared in 1936. Its model designation '4-4' (later '4/4') stood for four wheels and four cylinders. The original open two-seater 4-4 was introduced in 1936 and ended up being the most popular of the three body options available. 663 were built by 1939 and 249 more from 1946 to 1950, representing 53% of the overall production.
This delightful 'flat-rad' Morgan 4/4 was originally supplied by J. Clayton (official dealer) on 26th October 1938. Fitted with a Standard 10 engine, specifically designed by The Standard Motor Company for Morgan and coupled with a Meadows gearbox, this very early example presents in good all-round condition. The green coachwork is in good order and the leather trim has a splendid patina. Described as being 'fun to drive' and with no known faults, FGP 696 benefits from having just had £2,000 spent on her, including a rebuilt gearbox. A Morgan will create interest wherever they appear, this early example will create more than most.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.