Lot 109 - 1965 12870 C15 Restoration
|Odometer reading||15,099 miles|
|Result||Sold - £672|
The C15 engine was basically a copy of the Triumph 200cc Tiger Cub engine but as Triumph was owned by BSA at the time, it was considered acceptable. The original engine going into production in 1958 was an increase version of the 150cc Terrier engine designed by Edward Turner, but unlike the Tiger Cub the cylinder, was mounted vertically. The gearbox was also built as an integral part of the engine which was a radical change from the old method of having a separate unit and so this engine became identified as a 'Unit Single'. The basic design remained unchanged until 1965 when side points replaced the distributor. Other changes included roller bearing big end for the SS80 which had higher compression ratio and increased performance.
This intriguing example was acquired locally about three years ago by the vendor with a view to a restoration. As with so many things, life got in the way and nothing happened save for a top-end rebuild in 2011. It has been running recently as demonstrated by the MoT test certificate that expired in 2012. Without much work, this could be a fully rideable 'oily rag' example of BSA's popular C15.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.