Lot 130 - 1956 Square Four
|Odometer reading||19,609 miles|
|Estimate||£14,000 - £18,000|
Ariel Motorcycles was a manufacturer based in Bournbrook, Birmingham. It was one of the leading innovators in British motorcycling: the company was sold to BSA in 1944 but the Ariel name survived until 1970. The original company was established in 1870 by James Starley and William Hillman to make bicycles. The name came from the first penny farthing bicycle, which was so light they called it the Ariel 'spirit of the air'. The company merged with Westwood Manufacturing in 1896 and made a powered tricycle in 1898 with a de Dion engine. In 1902, Ariel produced its first motorcycle, which had a 'Kerry' engine with an innovative magneto ignition and a float carburettor. In 1905, Ariel was taken over by Charles Sangster, who built a three-speed, two-stroke he marketed as the 'Arielette', but his small factory closed on the outbreak of the First World War.
This strikingly handsome Ariel was registered on 9th October 1956 and is registered as having two former keepers. The black paintwork is in good order as is the chromework. Without doubt this Ariel has been owned by an enthusiast who has high standards and as such, MRD54 presents in excellent order. Supplied with a V5 registration document, this 998cc Ariel Square four will appeal to collectors and enthusiasts alike.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.