Lot 186 - 1953 13076 Argson Model 44 Mobility Vehicle
|Result||Sold - £224|
In the early 1920's, Stanley Engineering of Surrey manufactured the bulk of the UK's self-propelled invalid carriages using the 'Argson' brand name. The introduction of the petrol engine was a natural progression as was electric battery power and by 1949, Stanley and other manufacturers like Harding Ltd, and Dingwall & Son had lucrative Ministry of Health contracts. The aftermath of the First and Second World Wars saw a need for vehicles to give mobility to those who could not drive a conventional car or motorcycle. The design of these machines was standardized between the wars, later models having greater range and performance.
Made since 1930 by Stanley Engineering of Egham, this tiller-steered machine has a 48V motor powered by standard 12V batteries and driving the rear axle. Bodywork was always of the open type and UPA 244 retailed at over £200 when new. It is welcomed by the Invalid Carriage Register and has potential for light estate use. In need of re-commissioning following years of museum display, it is complete with a V5 for its Surrey number, an owner's manual and a wiring diagram.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.