Lot 382 - 1932 Alvis 12/60 Open Tourer
|Estimate||£26,000 - £30,000|
T G John founded Alvis in 1919 when he acquired the rights to an automobile engine and with it the brand name of its aluminium pistons, Alvis. The first Alvis car - the 10/30hp - appeared in 1920 and was conventional yet well engineered. The four-cylinder 10/30 was unusual in having a four-speed gearbox. Beginning in 1922 and using the 10/30 as a starting point, newly appointed Chief Engineer, Captain G T Smith-Clarke and Chief Designer W M Dunn, created the car that effectively established Alvis's reputation - the 12/50. The 12/50 was powered by a new overhead-valve engine of 1,460cc and on its competition debut at Brooklands in 1923, secured a legendary victory in the premier 200-Mile event crewed by Harvey/Tattershall. The production version went on sale later that same year priced at £550. A model of exceptional importance for Alvis, the 12/50 remained in production, updated and improved, until 1932, by which time it had grown in engine capacity to 1,645cc. In 1931, the 12/50 had been joined by an even sportier partner the 12/60. Introduced in 1931, the 12/60 came with a raised compression ratio and twin carburettors and modifications that raised maximum power to 56bhp. A sports saloon, four-seater sports and two-seater sports were offered. Testing a 12/60 in 1931, Motor Sport found the car could almost touch 80mph, yet was capable of returning 30mpg even when driven hard. Today, Alvis's 12/50 and 12/60 are among the most highly sought after sports cars of their day, with an enthusiastic following worldwide.
As with many Alvis's and motorcars of their time, coachbuilders had much influence over the looks and build of a 12/60, this beautiful example was a one off body coach built by Batley coachworks of Motorbodies, Newcastle and is still in its original body today. Offered with photographs dating back to 1940 and throughout its life to prove its provenance, the original owner, a Mr Bentham of Ovingham, bought the chassis from Alvis agent, Messer's Swallow and Millburn in Newcastle and sent it to Batley coachworks to be built. Its 3rd owner who acquired the motorcar in 1963 from a family of painters and decorators decided to completely restore it and rebuilt it over a 30 year period with great import set on originality, culminating in its current condition shown today. Since 1997 it had covered roughly 2,000 miles a year competing in local rallies such as the Beamish Reliability Trail, Eskdale Trial and Burnhope Run as well as various Alvis owners' club events.
The current vendor has owned the car since 2010 and it has been dry stored and used sparingly, offered with buff logbook, a period motorist's record book which makes for some interesting reading as well as a copy of the original sales receipt and all weather gear. Recent engine maintenance undertaken by the vendor includes new piston rings, cylinder head overhaul, new distributor, coil, leads and fuel pumps. It is rare to find an Alvis in such documented original condition and with Bailey of Newcastle having only ever put car bodies into two Daimlers, one Bentley and one Alvis, this truly is a rare Alvis.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.