Lot 240 - 1966 12840 TF21 Fixedhead Coupé
|Odometer reading||59,700 miles|
|Estimate||£13,000 - £18,000|
|Result||Sold - £30,240|
The Alvis Three Litre series IV, TF21, was the last car produced by Alvis cars. An updated version of the 1963 TE21, it was announced at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1966 and made until 1967. The body was a modified version of the TC108G styled by Graber of Switzerland but built by Mulliner Park Ward and was distinguished by having twin headlights mounted one above the other. Fixedhead coupé and convertible versions were available. The design was noted for its lack of bright side trim or creases moulded into the body parts and the windshield was one-piece, curved and not too highly sloped, externally, the car was identical to the TE21, but there were some changes to the suspension and, inside the car, the instruments were better organised. The 2993cc engine, first used in the 1950 TA21, had its power increased to 150bhp at 4750rpm by fitting triple SU carburettors giving the car a top speed of 120mph. A choice of automatic gearbox or a five-speed manual gearbox made by ZF was available. The chassis and suspension continued with its front coil springs and leaf springs at the rear.
This Alvis TF21 Fixedhead Coupé, one of the 106 TF21 built by Mulliner/Park Ward, body number 9284, was registered on 8th August 1966 with the ZF five speed manual gearbox, chrome wire wheels and power assisted steering options and, until October 1967, was used by Alvis Motor Company as a company/development car. The next known owner was in 1973 when Red Triangle were listed on the buff log book. Red Triangle have been quite involved with this Alvis selling the car on a couple of occasions and carrying out a lot of service work throughout the 1990's and 2000's. The list of owners are as follows; 1983 Mr. Donelly, 1987 Mr. Hayward, 1992 Mr. Organ, 1995 Mr. Edwards who commissioned Red Triangle to convert the engine to run on unleaded petrol and in 2000 completed a 3,000 mile tour of USA in the car. 2007, Mr. Betterto and finally in 2009 when this TF21 was purchased by the vendor. Finished in the original dark blue metallic with beige leather interior, it has been fully maintained and looked after and has had light restoration as and when needed. This TF21 is supplied with a V5C registration document, an MoT test certificate which expires in May 2014, a large file containing old log books, test certificates, tax discs, invoices from 1993, photographs of the minor body restoration and previous owners' notes. This is a rare car and well known to the Avis Owners Club having attended several of the club meetings and can be described as a very practical classic.
Previous lotLot 239 - 1950 12947 Mk V 3½ litre *Reserve lowered*
Next lotLot 241 - 1976 13093 Stag
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.