Lot 293 - 1953 12963 Aurelia B10S
|Chassis Number||B10S 1461|
|Odometer reading||19,391 km|
|Estimate||£22,000 - £26,000|
Many reading this will be aware of the importance and place in motoring history of the Lancia Aurelia with the B20 GT being the most known variant with its stunning GT styling by Pininfarina, together with its enviable racing history and many glamorous owners. However, it was the Aurelia B10 Berlina that started the story. Introduced to the public in 1950, it was designed by Vittorio Jano, with an engine developed by Francesco de Virgilio. This engine, a 1754cc V6 was the first V6 engine to be sold in a production car. The gearbox, clutch and differential are one unit and are rear mounted to help weight distribution with inboard rear brakes fitted. Front suspension is the classic Lancia sliding Pillar, as used on all Lancias up to this point since the Lambda. The rear suspension was initially semi trailing arms with coil springs; this was changed to a De Dion tube with leaf springs in the later cars.
On offer today is this stylish, rare and very original example of a 1953 Lancia Aurelia B10 S; the S standing for sinistra, meaning left hand drive. It has recently been imported from northern Italy, where it has spent all its life in and around the Milan area; in fact records show just 5 keepers (details of which are within the history file) since 1953 and two of these suspected to be within the same family. It is one of around just 500 lhd cars made in total.
This B10 S is a full matching numbers car, not just the correct engine but also the transmission, front suspension and steering are all as they left the factory in 1953, with the identity tags still attached to confirm this. Externally the car presents to a very high standard with the boot, bonnet, doors and rear wings in aluminium. The coachwork is complemented by an excellent interior with the wonderful panno nocciola, West of England cloth trim, rear window roller blind, original Condor radio and an auxiliary water temperature gauge. All external trim is present with delicate and remarkably straight alloy bumpers, excellent alloy panel trim, the alloy hubcaps are dent free and the headlamp lenses are correct and undamaged and are a work of art in themselves! A pair of Carello spotlights have been fitted at the front; although not of 50's vintage they are in full working order. The doors open and shut with a satisfying air of quality and all panel gaps are excellent. A pair of rear light units, with separate indicator and lights and front side repeaters have been fitted at a later date, possibly to adhere to Italian legislation changes in the 1970's.
With its Italian title and paperwork, UK Customs Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) declaration and cleared of UK import taxes, this is an exciting opportunity to purchase an Aurelia for a fraction of the cost of a GT with the reassurance of owning a very stylish, rare and beautifully engineered motor car.
Previous lotLot 292 - 1950 13051 Silver Wraith by James Young
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.