Lot 294 - 1930 13051 20/25 Two Seat Tourer
|Odometer reading||13,040 miles|
|Estimate||£19,000 - £25,000|
The Rolls-Royce 20/25 was built between 1929 and 1936 and succeeded the 20hp as Rolls-Royce's 'small car'. It was intended to appeal to owner drivers but many were sold to customers with chauffeurs. The in-line six cylinder overhead valve engine was similar to that used in the 20hp but was enlarged to 3699cc by increasing the bore from 76mm to 82mm with the stroke remaining at 114mm. A single Rolls-Royce carburettor was used and both coil and magneto ignitions were fitted. The four speed gearbox was mounted 'in unit' with the engine and a traditional righthand change used. Synchromesh was fitted to third and top gears from 1932. The famous Rolls-Royce radiator with triangular top was used with vertical louvres, the angle of which could be adjusted to control engine cooling. To begin with, the radiator shutters were operated manually via a lever on the dash with later cars fitted with automatic control via a thermostat. The larger engine allowed the top speed to increase too, but many owners had large limousine bodies fitted to the chassis with the predictable decline in performance.
Chassis GSR50 was dispatched from the Rolls-Royce factory in July 1930 and was sent to Carrosserie Janssen of Paris to have a Sedanca de Ville body made and fitted. On completion the 20/25 went with the new owner, Sr. Juan Pardo to his new home in Spain. In 1937, just before the Spanish civil war, Sr. Pardo came to London, bringing the car with him. In January 1940 the 20/25 was registered to John Patterson in Paisley, Scotland for the Ministry of Transport who had the body removed and a hearse body by Alpe & Saunders Ltd. fitted. The next owner was registered in 1952, Mr. James Weir of Glasgow and then Mr. James Hugh in 1956. The last known owner before the car was taken off the road in 1967 was Mr. Thomas Crawley who purchased it in 1961. The vendor purchased the complete rolling chassis in 2010 from Alan Brown who had acquired it in the mid 1970's as a restoration project. Since the purchase the car has had the required restoration to put the car back on the road including an engine rebuild, a rewire and an overdrive unit fitted for the long continental tours that he did. The inspiration for the body came from the 1911 Silver Ghost 'The Sluggard' which in its streamline form reached 101mph at Brooklands. The body on the 20/25 has been made the same way as WWI planes; fabric-covered ash frame with dope to stretch the cloth. The owner has used the car regularly and completed a 1000 mile tour of France in it last year. This Rolls-Royce 20/25 is supplied with a V5C registration document and a file which contains all the old UK log books, photographs of the chassis when purchased, copies of the chassis cards and information regarding work that has been carried out.
Previous lotLot 293 - 1953 12963 Aurelia B10S
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.