Lot 278 - 1929 12843 M2
|Odometer reading||81,614 km|
|Estimate||£14,000 - £18,000|
|Result||Sold - £15,344|
The Amilcar M is a mid-sized car, made between 1928 and 1935 by the French Amilcar company with most of the cars delivered with a boxy four door 'Berline' body characteristic of the late 1920s.
Amilcar had earlier gained reputation and market share as producers of cycle cars in the lean years that followed the First World War but as consumer spending power grew in the later 1920s, the company's attempts to expand up-market had met with only limited success. The 'Type M' sold better than the 'Type L' from which it inherited most of its mechanical elements including, in particular, its four cylinder, 1244cc side-valve engine for which a maximum output of 27hp was listed. Top speed would have varied according to the weight and style of the body specified but a respectable 68mph was quoted at the time. Power was transferred from the front-mounted engine to the rear wheels via a four speed manual gear-box. The suspension combined leaf springs with Hartford dampers, front and back. From 1929, the 'Type M' was replaced with the 'Type M2' and incorporated minor improvements. Approximately 2,650 'Type M2's emerged from the plant between 1928 and 1931.
Believed to be extremely original and, most interestingly, with only two owners from new, it was delivered new to a Dr. Kenneth Graham of Pall Mall with bodywork made to his own design at Merthyr Terrace. It would appear that it was kept during that time at Pearl Garage in Ealing, West London and, in 1959, he had the body re-skinned in aluminium. In 1970, it was then sold to the vendor's premises in Hanwell. The condition of this four-seat touring example is best described as an older restoration; there is some micro-blistering to the bonnet although the wings and aluminium tub are in good order. A side-mounted wheel with period cover is fitted with the others painted black. The interior leather trim appears original, showing generous patina with a retractable cowl to the rear. The dash is wood in construction with a Jaeger speedometer and revolution counter. Amilcar units denote fuel and oil levels. The steering wheel is of a leather-bound, four spoke aluminium type with a period calorimeter to be found on the radiator. MoT test certificates details a period of continual usage from 1972 until 2006, where it would appear to have been laid up with the rest of this extremely handsome collection.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.