Lot 261 - 1911 13118 15.9hp
|Odometer reading||9,165 miles|
|Estimate||£27,000 - £33,000|
|Result||Sold - £45,920|
Brothers Thomas and Joseph Hampson trading as Vulcan Motor
Manufacturing and Trading built the first Vulcan car which was a
4hp single-cylinder belt-driven type in 1902. In 1903, this grew to
6.5hp and the wooden chassis was now 'armoured ash'. Twin-cylinder
1.5 litre models followed in 1904 with steel chassis and in 1905, 2
and then 3 litre, four-cylinder, pair-casted engines appeared and
the company moved to bigger premises in Hawesside Street in
Southport. Things kept growing and a van version of these cars came
in 1906 along with a large 4.8 litre six-cylinder model,
facilitating another move to even larger premises at
Crossens, Southport and a change of company name to Vulcan Motor
and Engineering. The six-cylinder model grew to 6 litres in 1908.
In 1912, a new small car - the 10/12 of 1.8 litres with
two-cylinder Aster engine - was added; the first use of a bought in
engine. At the outbreak of World War I, the ranges consisted of the
2.4 litre four-cylinder 10/15, the 2.6 litre 15.9, the 3 litre
15/20 and the last of the old sixes, the 25/30. As a sign of things
to come, a 30 cwt truck was also offered. During the war, the
factory concentrated on munitions. In 1916, the Hampson brothers
left the company and it was reformed as Vulcan Motor Engineering
(1916) under the control of C.B. Wardman. In 1918, the company
bought Southport F.C. which was renamed Southport Vulcan - becoming
the first club to take a sponsor's name.
This 1911 Vulcan 15.9hp, two seat tourer with dicky seat, fitted with the 2 litre pair-cased engine, is presented in completely original condition although we are informed by a previous owner that in the 1970's he replaced the lights and added the bulb horn. Purchased by the vendor's husband in 1983, the car was only used a couple times a year going to local rallies in Lincolnshire. In 1985 he parked the Vulcan in the hallway of his house, for a day. 28 years later, on 18th September 2013, and with the aid of the vendor, we push the Vulcan out, onto the patio and then onto the trailer! This very rare and original Vulcan - it is believed that there are less than ten left in the world - still has the original grey coach paint, coachlined in gold, brown button back leather seating and fawn roof and side screens and from the old log books it can be seen that the car has had five owners from 1969. The Vulcan has been fully re-commissioned and serviced and the engine is now running as it did when it was new. This car is supplied with a V5C registration document, an old style 'buff' log book and other such papers. Due to the scarcity of Vulcan motor cars in the world, this is a unique opportunity to purchase a piece of British motoring history and an investment for the future.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.