Lot 268 - 1933 12958 16/80 S-Type Special Six
|Odometer reading||7,067 miles|
|Estimate||£45,000 - £54,000|
|Result||Sold - £53,760|
Lagonda was founded in 1906 in Staines, Middlesex by an American, Wilbur Gunn, who had named the company after a river near to his birthplace in Springfield, Ohio, United States. Mr Gunn had originally built motorcycles in the garden of his house in Staines with reasonable success, including a win in the 1905 London - Edinburgh trial. In 1907 he launched his first car; the 20-hp, 6-cylinder Torpedo, which he used to win the Moscow - St. Petersburg trial of 1910. This success produced a healthy order for exports to Russia which continued until 1914.
The first of the company's sports models was launched in 1925 as the 14/60 with a twin-cam 1954cc, four cylinder engine and hemispherical combustion chambers. The car was designed by Arthur Davidson who had come from Lea-Francis. A higher output engine came in 1927 with the two litre Speed Model followed by a Sports Touring model, the 16/80. The first part of its name referred to its fiscal horsepower rating of 16 with the second number in its name referring to the car's bhp. However, one well informed owner suggests that it may have referred to the car's claimed top speed of 80mph. The car was unusual in being the only Lagonda to be offered with a Crossley engine; however, each engine purchased was stripped down by Lagonda, checked and fitted with twin SU carburettors, according to their own specifications before becoming the heart of a 16/80.
In 1933 the option of an E.N.V pre-selector gearbox became available as fitted to this elegant example on offer today and, with fewer than half of the original 260 made surviving, it is a pleasure to be able to be associated with this one.
According to the kind assistance of the hugely knowledgeable Lagonda Owners Club, S10325 left the factory with saloon coachwork; although this was changed early on to its current open touring configuration as detailed in the buff log book dated 1959. The comprehensive history details extensive communication between the legendary Captain Forshaw of the club and a number of its previous owners. 1966 saw a full engine re-build by Baldyne with a continuous programme of works and paperwork right up to the present day. In 1970, the body was re-built into the configuration you see now. The Tony Robinson-built T7 canvas coachwork is reminiscent of the style of Vanden Plas and even comes with P100 head lamps. Pre-selector gearboxes were only an option in the early half of 1933 and so this example came with a normal four-speed manual unit; however, in 2002, Smithy Engineering were employed to research and install a period ENV pre-selector gearbox which appeared to work well on test. Indeed, many thousands were spent with this specialist firm over the years with a re-cored radiator, overhauled ignition system, installation of an electronic fuel pump and clutch overhaul. Many overseas trips have been undertaken in this elegant tourer taking in Ulster, Norway and the Fougeres Rally in France, all attesting to its reliability and ease of ownership.
This Lagonda comes supplied with a hood, hood-bag and tonneau cover as well as a comprehensive history file detailing every invoice and letter right back to the early 1960's. A VSCC eligibility document confirming its condition as 'Standard' can also be found as well as a V5C and current MoT test certificate valid for 12 months. With few of these around, this competitively priced S-Type Special Six drives well and has the history to back it up.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.