Lot 267 - 1954 Corgi Mk. II Scooter Restoration
|Result||Sold - £482|
Founded by managing director John Dolphin at the end of the Second World War, the Corgi Motorcycle Company was formed to develop a civilian version of his 98cc Welbike which had been designed to be dropped by parachute to support airborne troops. The main difference between the Corgi scooter and the Welbike were that frame was more solid as weight was no longer such an issue and the Corgi had a fuel tank in the normal position between the handlebars and the saddle. Both were otherwise very similar with small wheels and folding handlebars and seat, both had 98cc two-stroke engine with a single gear. The original Corgi scooter was started by pushing, but the Mk. II was fitted with a kick start and two clutches - a conventional handlebar operated clutch and a 'dog-clutch' operated by folding down the right hand footrest to engage the rear wheel to enable the Corgi to be kick-started and run whilst stationary. A company called Brockhouse Engineering of Southport built Corgi scooters under license and many were exported to the United States from 1947 to 1954. Production of the Corgi scooter for the UK market began in 1948 and 27,050 were manufactured before production ended in October 1954. This Corgi Mk. II Scooter has not been used for many years and requires restoration but once done an ideal means of transport around any Historic race car paddock or, like the US Air Force, as transport for maintenance staff and were kept aboard aircraft for use by aircrew.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.