Lot 249 - 1958 Ariel 1000
|Estimate||£16,000 - £20,000|
Ariel Motorcycles was a manufacturer based in Bournbrook, Birmingham. It was one of the leading innovators in British motorcycling: the company was sold to BSA in 1944 but the Ariel name survived until 1970. The original company was established in 1870 by James Starley and William Hillman to make bicycles. The name came from the first penny farthing bicycle, which was so light they called it the Ariel 'spirit of the air'. The company merged with Westwood Manufacturing in 1896 and made a powered tricycle in 1898 with a de Dion engine. In 1902, Ariel produced its first motorcycle, which had a 'Kerry' engine with an innovative magneto ignition and a float carburettor. In 1905, Ariel was taken over by Charles Sangster, who built a three-speed, two-stroke he marketed as the 'Arielette', but his small factory closed on the outbreak of the First World War.
This splendidly handsome Ariel was built in 1958 and has had a number of improvements carried out to further enhance the usability of the motorcycle. Converted to run on 12 volts, the engine has been fitted with a 'Morgo' oil pump, together with an oil filter and additional oil feed pipes directing oil onto the camshaft, all resulting in greater reliability. The gear ratios have been changed and we are informed the top speed of the motorcycle is around 120mph (where permitted). Supplied with a V5 registration document, this Ariel has been in the hands of a private collector for a number of years.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.