Lot 382 - 1960 Berkeley Berkeley T60
|Result||Sold - £13,440|
The Berkeley was a very popular British sports car; its constructor, Laurie Bond, was one of the more successful designers of mini cars in England. In the 1940's, Bond raced successfully in a mountain race and decided to create a light 2-seat roadster with a fibreglass body, a 2-stroke motor and front-wheel drive. In 1956 he joined forces with Charles Panter, owner of Europe's largest manufacturer of caravans, who wanted to offset seasonal sales variations by producing a car. Production began with 3 prototypes, the bodies of which were made of two plastic parts, with a box-shaped substructure and suspension and engine compartment reinforced with aluminium, forming a fibreglass monocoque structure. The headlights were under Plexiglas covers. The first Berkeleys, the B60s, were 4-wheelers and had 322cc Anzani 2-stroke, 2-cylinder motors with 15 horsepower and chain drive to the front wheels. These in turn were hung on A-arms, suspended by Girling coil-and-damper units. At the rear there were swing axles, with struts. It was named B60 for its top speed, and the B65, with 328cc Excelsior motor, soon followed. A 492cc version was created by the addition of a third cylinder. Production was stopped with the arrival of the Austin Healey Sprite. When production resumed, the B65 had become the T60, a 3-wheeler, able to be driven on a motorcycle licence. The slightly longer body had a bit of room behind the front seats and the very rare T60/4 (only 40 made) had actual child seats over the rear wheel. The 3-wheelers were a great success, and were produced in the largest numbers.
This 1960 Berkeley T60 was originally supplied new in blue with the correct 500cc motorcycle engine. After a period spent in a museum in Grantham, the car ended up in East Lothian and in the early 1990's the car was carefully restored and upgraded including strengthening the chassis, replacing the engine and transmission with an Austin Mini engine, automatic gearbox and front brake discs. Other modifications included a removable hard top and with the modified chassis half depth doors. Purchased by the vendor in 2006, this car is finished in red with 'candy striped' interior, and requires re-commissioning to put it back on the road. The car is supplied with a V5C registration document and MoT test certificates from 1997 to 2004.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.