Lot 348 - 1929 Morris Cowley Flatnose

Lot 348 - 1929 Morris Cowley Flatnose

Lot 348 - 1929 Morris Cowley Flatnose

Lot Number 348
Registration OF611
Chassis Number MC119301492
Engine Number 338063
Odometer reading 90,146 miles
Estimate £6,000 - £8,000
Result Sold - £6,552

Morris Motors began in 1912 when bicycle manufacturer, William Morris, moved on from the sale, hire and repair of cars to car manufacturing. He planned a new light car assembled from bought-in components. In this way he was able to retain ownership by keeping within the bounds of his own capital resources. A factory was opened in 1913 at former Oxford Military College at Cowley, Oxford, where Morris's first car, the two seat Morris Oxford 'Bullnose' was assembled. Nearly all the major components were bought-in. Morris Cowley was a name given to various cars produced by the Morris Motor Company from 1915 to 1958. In 1926, the Bullnose radiator was replaced by a flat version known as the Flatnose. These cars were built by Morris untill 1931. The chassis was new and the suspension was updated with semi elliptic leaf springs all round plus Smiths friction type scissor shock absorbers. The brakes are rod and spring operated with cams inside the drums to actuate. It is interesting to note that the rear brake drums include two sets of shoes, one of which is connected directly to the handbrake. The basic 'Hotchkiss type' of engine continued on from the Bullnose of previous years.

This Flatnose Morris with a solid nickel radiator was purchased by the previous owners in 1978 as a restoration project, after the restoration was completed in the early Eighties, the car was used very sparingly until being stored away in a dry garage. The vendor purchased the car in 2010, taking the car out of the storage garage where it had been for many years. After light re-commissioning and cleaning, this Flatnose joined his collection of Austin and Morris cars and has only been used on a very few occasions. Supplied with this Morris Flatnose is the original buff log book showing the owners going back to 1945, the purchase invoice to the previous owners from 1978, the old V5 registration document and the original handbook, also supplied with the car is the current V5C registration documents and the SORN certificates dating back to 2009. This is a very useable pre-war car that has been described as 'always on the button' that only requires some light paintwork and detailing to return it to its former restored state.

Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.

Web design & build by Edgebound