Lot 230 - 1964 Alvis TE21 Drophead Coupé
|Odometer reading||51,575 miles|
|Result||Sold - £70,000|
After the Second World War, the 1919-founded Alvis Motor Company specialised in sports saloons, traditionally styled and coachbuilt, with the Grey Lady being capable of over 100mph. In 1955 however, Graber styled what was considered to be a stunningly attractive two-door, pillarless coupé on a Grey Lady chassis which could comfortably transport four people with speeds up to 110mph. Although the Swiss firm did body several chassis from Coventry, their design was reproduced by celebrated English coachbuilders, Park Ward, who produced both fixedhead and drophead versions.
With a Rolls-Royce standard of finish, the new Alvis quickly magnetised an up-market following which included Prince Philip and Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader CBE, DSO, DFC. Despite having lost both legs when he crashed his plane during a display, Bader had gone on to score 23 enemy `kills' in action. With a reputation for always demanding the best, the WW2 fighter ace chose the TE21 and had his much loved `36 GLR' registered drophead modified to his own specification with extended seat runners, bonnet louvres, rope door pulls, a larger pipe accommodating ashtray and an appropriate Hawker Hurricane mascot. There is little doubt that it is the exquisite coachbuilt sweeping lines and compelling motive force that have attracted clientele the world over ever since.
The earliest recorded owner of BGJ 860B was a Mr. John Deulin of Newcastle who purchased the car in July 1983. In 1985, Mr. Rodney Chesterton-North acquired it; he enjoyed the car right up until his death in 1992 whereupon his brother, Tony, took it over. He spent his time between here and Hong Kong and eventually passed away in 2008. The estate sold the car, on his behalf, to the highly experienced restorer, Barry Ward. His knowledge and attention to detail is widely respected and, with his own cars, verges on the obsessive. Detailed notes are enclosed within the history file describe every part used and every element of the car that has received attention. The entire car was reduced to its constituent parts, the shell was then minutely inspected, repaired where necessary and prepared for restoration. There are six pages explaining the works undertaken to bring this fine example back to its current condition - suffice to say that it has been restored to an extremely high standard and sits beautifully in Royal Blue with a rich tan leather interior and total invoicing exceeding £21,000. Further mechanical works took place in 2012 by Scott Racing Services of Suffolk including the fitting of electronic ignition, power-steering, the addition of a Kenlowe cooling fan to the radiator and a full tune-up amounting to over £5,000. Supplied with full tonneau, hood-bag and an MoT test certificate valid until November 2013, this represents one of the finest T-Series Alvis's on the market. It runs well and has the pedigree to support the investment - definitely blue-chip.
Next lotLot 231 - 1947 Allard K1 Roadster
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.