Lot 214 - 1959 Hillman Husky Series 1
|Result||Sold - £3,360|
The first Hillman Husky, introduced in 1954, was a small estate car based on the contemporary 'Mk. VIII' Hillman Minx. The two-door Husky entered the range alongside an existing Minx estate car, which had a nine inch longer wheelbase. The Husky was not a hatchback, having instead a single side-hinged rear door. While the new Mk. VIII Minx De Luxe saloon, convertible and 'Californian' hardtop used a new OHV 1390cc engine, the Husky continued to use the older 1265cc 35bhp sidevalve engine with single Zenith carburettor which it shared with the Minx 'Special' saloon and estate. Unlike the Minx with its column change, the gear lever for the Husky was floor mounted. There were individual seats in the front and a bench seat in the rear which would fold flat to increase load area. The trim material was leathercloth and both the heater and radio were optional extras.
A Dorset car, originally owned by the Post Master in Bere Regis, this Hillman Husky was restored in 2003/4 and comes with extensive bills and paperwork. Invoices for £3,500 included a £500 interior re-trim, new screen rubbers from Australia and other parts from the USA. The history file also contains MoT test certificates dating back to 2004 verifying that only 3,700 miles have been covered since, a current MoT valid until September 2013 and copies of previous V5 documents going right back to the original old style buff logbook.
A lovely vehicle which drives very nicely, starts and runs well and ideally suited for historic events such as the Goodwood Revival. The original Rootes parts list, workshop manual and full car cover are also included.
Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Buyers are advised to inspect the car in person or use a professional to carry out this service.