Lot 256 - 1933 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Limousine by Thrupp & Maberly

Lot 256 - 1933 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Limousine by Thrupp & Maberly

Lot 256 - 1933 Rolls-Royce 20/25 Limousine by Thrupp & Maberly

Lot Number 256
Registration ALF130
Chassis Number GSY98
Engine Number A3N
Odometer reading 6,879 miles
Estimate £23,000 - £30,000
Result Sold - £22,400

The Rolls-Royce 20/25 was built between 1929 and 1936 and succeeded the 20hp as Rolls-Royce's 'small car'. It was intended to appeal to owner drivers but many were sold to customers with chauffeurs. The in-line six cylinder overhead valve engine was similar to that used in the 20hp but was enlarged to 3699cc by increasing the bore from 76mm to 82mm with the stroke remaining at 114mm. A single Rolls-Royce carburettor was used and both coil and magneto ignitions were fitted. The four speed gearbox was mounted 'in unit' with the engine and a traditional righthand change used. Synchromesh was fitted to third and top gears from 1932. The famous Rolls-Royce radiator with triangular top was used with vertical louvres, the angle of which could be adjusted to control engine cooling. To begin with, the radiator shutters were operated manually via a lever on the dash with later cars fitted with automatic control via a thermostat. The larger engine allowed the top speed to increase too, but many owners had large limousine bodies fitted to the chassis with the predictable decline in performance. As far back as the 1880's, Thrupp & Maberly began its move from making horse-drawn carriages to car bodies. By the spring of 1897, Thrupp & Maberly held the British licence for the Duryea Motor Wagon. More commissions followed and the business grew, leading to large numbers of bodies for staff cars being made during World War I. After the war, Thrupp & Maberly produced a range of bespoke bodies for up-market British and European marques and in 1924, they moved to new premises in Cricklewood, London but kept a showroom in North Audley Street which, in 1925, was bought by the Rootes brothers. Thrupp & Maberly remained a prestige coachbuilder concentrating on luxury bodies for Rolls-Royce, Daimler and Bentley automobiles and in 1929, they built the body for Sir Henry Segrave's land speed record car, the Golden Arrow.

This matching numbers Rolls-Royce 20/25 Limousine without division was first delivered on the 29th March 1933. From an earlier restoration, the livery is presented today in Royal Blue and Cream, with blue interior. The vendor informs us that the engine is very quiet, an excellent running car with very good oil pressure that pulls like a train! Over the last two years the owner has had a new clutch fitted, a complete new exhaust system, new starter motor, new battery, the brakes refurbished and adjusted as necessary, the temperature gauge overhauled, the carburettor cleaned and adjusted, a new distributor cap, rotor arm, spark plugs and spark plug leads. All of the electrical wiring has been checked through and replaced where necessary. This 20/25 is supplied with V5 registration document, an MoT test certificate which expires in June 2012 and some history with photographs. An extremely usable and enjoyable pre-war motorcar ideally suited to country tours or club rallies.

Interested parties should satisfy themselves as to the description and condition of each lot prior to the sale. Accordingly, buyers are on notice that each vehicle is offered ‘as is/as seen’ subject to the Terms and Conditions for the auction. Buyers are advised to inspect the vehicle in person or use a professional to carry out this service. Historics will not entertain disputes over descriptions.

Web design London Edgebound